Search the forum,

Discuss Not too happy with this work... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The photo of the consumer unit has a couple of things
They are not meant to be at that height- I usually give the client the option of keeping the meter in the same place and relocating the consumer unit

The holes where the cables go up to the roof- the electrician has deliberately taken the cables behind the decorative coving and not wrecked it- many would have burst that, so a plus point on that

The cables in front of the skirting is a bit rough

Is the electrician registered - NICEIC or SELECT in Scotland

If so you can ask them about him.

In the first instance you have to let the electrician know what is wrong and give him a chance to fix it.

I think you're massively over reacting and need to give the sparky a chance to finish the job. Customers like yourselves coming on forums like this slagging off your sparky because he hasn't made good is unacceptable. Youve clearly no idea how the construction industry works, it sounds like you've no idea about renovating and you need to read your quote properly and discuss with your spark.

Have you not got some of the wallpaper and paint spare? How was you expecting the electrician to get the cables down to the consumer unit if he had put it up to the ceiling there would have been an undecorated wall where the old one was. I can see that from the photo. Communication between both parties is key.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see the problem with having to repaper a wall and paint some others. In the big scheme of things it's very minor.

Post pictures when hes totally finished please. Not the best practice with the cabkes infront of the skirting but cant see much else mid job wrong?

Hate clients like this. Nothing on his quote to make good, most would put some fillar in the holes though, all be it not close. To a decorators finish

I'm always split on how I feel about this kind of situation. An OP that doesn't know to expect a certificate and to be thorough about what is included in a quote? I understand a lot of people don't have the experience to know that is important.

But on the other hand, I feel that anyone that owns probably several hundred thousand pounds worth of property, should do the research ahead of inviting someone in to fiddle with it. At the end of the day, the OP is a project manager.. And has failed themselves to a degree.

I'm just glad the spark, or installer, is at least expecting to come back for more work and isn't yet paid - that's a fairly good point for the OP to negotiate from.

Best of luck.

We're first time house renovators and recently had an electrician in to replace the main board and rewire the kitchen.

I'm really not too happy with the results. There are cables coming out of the wall below the sockets and running back into the floor, multiple holes around sockets and where old sockets were and worst of all an absolutely huge hole in our hallway above the new main board.

On speaking to the electrician he's advised he doesn't do plastering- but I had assumed he would at least make good after doing the rewire- whether that was included in the additional quote or would be at additional cost.

As a complete newbie to having a rewire and any kind of electrical work done, am I overreacting? It doesn't look as professional as I would have expected....And the cables coming out of the wall and then into the floor dont seem right either.

I'd like to have a chat with him about it but not really sure what to say and how things should look. Not like this, I'm sure!

Anybody?

View attachment 46601

View attachment 46602

View attachment 46603

View attachment 46604

Electrician not magician

Reminds me of a job I looked at where after explaining that there would be holes cut in the ceiling (flat roof) and chases made in the walls
in order to execute the work, a
nd making good/redecoration will be required afterwards, the client said …….
"Oh! I thought there was something 'magic' you could do"
She was deadly serious but clearly no idea of what was involved in getting a cable from A to B!

There are CPS in Scotland run by SELECT and NICEIC! They are Approved contractors. Or you can be SJIB (and jump through a few more hoops sometimes) No DI’s thank god! We don’t have English Building Regs but by virtue of our Building Standards a warrant might be necessary for this job? problem is up here that with no part P notification there are loads of un skilled, under skilled and non skilled people doing electrical work and lack of public education means the customer doesn’t know what questions to ask to get a competent person. Then there’s no policing of these bodgers whom permanently live under the radar.

Added to that there appears to have been little or no discussion as to the scope of work and damage to the fabric betwix the customer and contractor. Were there any contract terms agreed?

Maybe a personal thing but if I was rewiring this in stages I’d be issuing certification as we went along to prove what I’d done was safe and I was happy to put my name to it and ask for stage payments. Maybe it’s just my company best practice.

This example really shows the diverse number of opinions and the scope for considering what people in the trade consider is ok and not. I guess that’s a fault of self regulation and vague and woolly ‘regs’. For example I don’t necessarily have an issue with the hole above the CU if further rewiring is to be done. Maybe the contractor was over zealous or maybe a large chunk broke out, who knows? But running a cable around the skating as has been done looks amateurish and lazy. But again we don’t have the full picture of what is going in that area when it comes to finishing?

Think the OP needs to talk to the contractor to iron matters out.

Reply to Not too happy with this work... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net