Discuss Notifiable works. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In my mind what we are working towards achieving is a single register which works along the lines of the gas safe scheme.
They are not allowed to profit, actually have teeth when it comes to dealing with bad work, anyone can report bad work to them and they investigate.

I really feel for you all!!, I get great joy from you all still bashing away at it and listening to your daily task's, a trade that still very close to my heart, but am glad I am away from all the politics of it.!! Happy now just to fix meters to the wall. lol

I'm slowly drifting away from the domestics myself, gathering a few more commercial clients.

Plus I have a fireworks business we are slowly rejuvenating after the recession, when that can afford to pay me I'll be packing the tools away.
(If you ever think H&S and insurance is a ball ache in this game, try storage and transportation of cat4 fireworks!)

Part P is here to stay, I make no mistake about that. The best anyone can hope for is some sort of amendment to it. What I, and many others, object to is the way the trade is being steered by the very organisations that were supposed to be upholding standards.
It's them we want rid of and there's only one way to do that and that is to drive them out of business.

Part P was brought into law as a knee jerk reaction by a Labour government that was supposed to improve public safety couple this with some government idea we had a massive skills shortage and what have ended up with the mess we have today. Part P as it stands needs to be abolished and if it is really needed then a new Part P needs to be formulated that only allows properly trained and qualified electricians this should mean that the training companies will get their act together and offer proper training or go out of business

Part P was brought into law as a knee jerk reaction by a Labour government that was supposed to improve public safety couple this with some government idea we had a massive skills shortage and what have ended up with the mess we have today. Part P as it stands needs to be abolished and if it is really needed then a new Part P needs to be formulated that only allows properly trained and qualified electricians this should mean that the training companies will get their act together and offer proper training or go out of business
oh no it dont.

we`v had enough of this rotten old show as it is....

we dont need Part p Mk 2....

if it goes...it goes for good........
we dont need something else rearing its ugly head....

oh no it dont.

We managed to survive over 100 years without it and am pretty damn sure we could survive without it again

The other thing is, I nor I imagine anyone else has ever heard of how a scam has actually managed to save a life or make domestic installation any safer.

The other thing is, I nor I imagine anyone else has ever heard of how a scam has actually managed to save a life or make domestic installation any safer.
caus it dont.

its a bit like `rated people` innit...

nobody knows what their really there for....

they had a stand didn`t they at elex manchester did that rated people.....it was very quiet around that stand....

they had the cheek to ask me as i went by if i was interested.....
told them i thought they were parasites and walked off..

May see if the likes of rated people are at Elex Coventry and see if they can tell me why they are better than the likes of Yell.com and such lime which are free

You’re probably fed up of me saying a national register is the only way to kill off the parasitic scams and the Electrical Trainee’s.

I’m sorry, but it’s the only way for properly qualified electricians to rescue the trade now.

Ditch the baggage.

I had a lets say discussion with the NI at elex,and brought up part P and how it came to be,now when I first heard the story of how an MP's daughter had been electrocuted by dodgy electrics I was a tad annoyed to say the least,the impression I got was a small child killed by some dodgy wiring.Then I got the full story,which I hasten to add was lets say blurred to sell a good story.The daughter in question was 30 odd years old,she got killed when her leg touched a dishwasher and her hand touched a metal rack,which had been fitted by her husband,on a wall in between 2 sockets and which people had complained of getting slight shocks off for ages.Now I know we don't like DIY books BUT read any book and it always tells you to avoid drilling into walls in a line horizontally between sockets or vertically above or below sockets or switches.Thats basic common sense,without getting involved with cable detectors or anything else,now lets be honest,regardless of whatever the electrician did that was wrong,ultimately it was the fault of the person who fitted the rack to the wall,her husband.Was he criticised in court? NO! Why because they wanted to blame someone else,and on the back of this to fleece electricians.

oh no it dont.

Very short sighted comment IMO Part P is only a section in the building regs that could be rewritten and/or revised to rid it of the problems it currently causes and the scams and trainers that exacerbate everything that Part P was supposed to solve

It also sounds your against any regulation does this include any form of licensing of electricians as this is something that could rear it's "ugly head" as an alternative

I had a lets say discussion with the NI at elex,and brought up part P and how it came to be,now when I first heard the story of how an MP's daughter had been electrocuted by dodgy electrics I was a tad annoyed to say the least,the impression I got was a small child killed by some dodgy wiring.Then I got the full story,which I hasten to add was lets say blurred to sell a good story.The daughter in question was 30 odd years old,she got killed when her leg touched a dishwasher and her hand touched a metal rack,which had been fitted by her husband,on a wall in between 2 sockets and which people had complained of getting slight shocks off for ages.Now I know we don't like DIY books BUT read any book and it always tells you to avoid drilling into walls in a line horizontally between sockets or vertically above or below sockets or switches.Thats basic common sense,without getting involved with cable detectors or anything else,now lets be honest,regardless of whatever the electrician did that was wrong,ultimately it was the fault of the person who fitted the rack to the wall,her husband.Was he criticised in court? NO! Why because they wanted to blame someone else,and on the back of this to fleece electricians.

I often wonder how many other similar cases there have been in the last 10 - 15 years where the person involved was not related to an MP so those incidents didn't get the same publicity.
The effectiveness of Part P is difficult to measure as the introduction of BS7671:2008 with the RCD everything line must distort any data collected as there is no reporting of how many times RCD's are tripped and what the circumstances were when it tripped and whether there was a danger to life

It also sounds your against any regulation does this include any form of licensing of electricians as this is something that could rear it's "ugly head" as an alternative

Nothing ugly at all about the licensing of all electricians, in fact it could well be the saviour of UK electricians.

One things for sure it'll remove any need for scam providers and their bloody joke of a competent assessment, that frankly the dimmest school leaver can pass, a couple of weeks or so after leaving school....

what never came to light with this case is whether the cable in question was correctly routed in a safe zone, whether it was RCD protected or not, dependent on the reg. in force at the time of installation, if the cable was install in accordance with thew current version of BS7671, then the blame rests solely on whoever drilled into it, and the customer for not acting on the fact that repeated small shocks had been received. but, then again, an MP was in the equation, so blame culture comes in. it's got to be someone's fault, not ours, blame the spark.

Nothing ugly at all about the licensing of all electricians, in fact it could well be the saviour of UK electricians.

One things for sure it'll remove any need for scam providers and their bloody joke of a competent assessment, that frankly the dimmest school leaver can pass, a couple of weeks or so after leaving school....

I agree with the comments you have made and they are along the lines I was thinking the ugly term was used in response to Glennspark's comment about abolishing Part P with no replacement rearing it's ugly head so it's a bit out of context now

The industry needs cleaning up and the term qualified needs reinstating as opposed to the competent term that has taken over in recent years and then it needs to be enforced

what never came to light with this case is whether the cable in question was correctly routed in a safe zone, whether it was RCD protected or not, dependent on the reg. in force at the time of installation, if the cable was install in accordance with thew current version of BS7671, then the blame rests solely on whoever drilled into it, and the customer for not acting on the fact that repeated small shocks had been received. but, then again, an MP was in the equation, so blame culture comes in. it's got to be someone's fault, not ours, blame the spark.

It always amazes me that these industry bodies never defend the industry in these cases where it is found that the problem is not wholly attributable to the spark that did the installation all they do is look for another way to take money off the mugs who will sign up to their scam

Reply to Notifiable works. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net