Discuss Old Stanley tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Told you I was bored, anyway I was sat thinking about all the old tools I used to have, and wish I had managed to keep them, one of the screwdrivers that I always used was a Stanley one, a lot of Electricians used them, I think there were two sizes with black wooden fluted handles (way before VDE) there was a plastic ring where the blade met the handle assembly which acted as an insulator, basically you could do a live terminal up without getting a belt, provided you only held the handle, saw one at a boot sale some years back, wish I had bought it, just to reminisce, but sadly didn't bother.

Another thing I used was the Gladstone bag the type that plumbers used, chuck it on the floor and all your tools were there in all their splender, make a bit of a mockery of the Veto brigade I know, I have my tin hat on, ready for all the old man jokes so fire away boys, I guess my post is asking do any of the older statesmen have any stories of old tools, no not old tools like me thanks, and whilst I 'm on does anyone have one of those driver they want rid of?

well, my fault finding IR /continuity tester is a megger analogue from 1979. does that count?

yeras ago i has a metal cantilever toolbox. the top tray on 1 side was divided into 3: screws, rawlplugs, ashtray.

I used to hav an old 1/2 drill that would throw a horse for a loop if the bit got hung up
(a 2 man drill) had to be careful to keep from getting an arm broke

I used to hav an old 1/2 drill that would throw a horse for a loop if the bit got hung up
(a 2 man drill) had to be careful to keep from getting an arm broke

Ha ha. I had one of them which had a metal handle that screwed onto the side. Whilst drilling at low level it bit...said handle smacked me in the mouth and damaged my front teeth. Rang employers from Red phone box to inform them I'm off to the dentist.Their response was can the apprentice carry on working!

good boss. i'd have made you carry on. you don't need teeth for fitting electrics.

Ha ha. I had one of them which had a metal handle that screwed onto the side. Whilst drilling at low level it bit...said handle smacked me in the mouth and damaged my front teeth. Rang employers from Red phone box to inform them I'm off to the dentist.Their response was can the apprentice carry on working!
wolf i beleive- lethal things no clutch and slow as heck

Years ago I used to keep my tools in a brick built outhouse when I got in from work as my mother didn't like too much messy stuff in the house. The outhouse got broken into one night and it was bye bye tools.
I spent a few days working out of a friends tool box (far from ideal I know but I'd have done the same for him) then one night there was a knock at the door. One of my dad's old mate was a toolmaker, he'd heard about my gear going walkabout and made me a full set of flat and phillips drivers with wooden handles and a load of other stuff. It lasted for years, probably because after a short while I'd replaced a lot of the stuff that went missing and what he'd made me was kept for non electrical jobs.
One of my brothers has it all now I think.

Years ago ....................
One of my brothers has it all now I think.

Good stuff, get some pictures.

My spirit level.

Spirit Level.jpg

Lump hammer, 2" bolster, rawlplugging tool and bits ( No masonry drills ) side cutters, pliers and 2 flatblade Stanley screwdrivers. The smallest screwdriver insulated along the metal part with green sleeving. Box of plasters for when you hit your hand with the lump hammer.

Lump hammer, 2" bolster, rawlplugging tool and bits ( No masonry drills ) side cutters, pliers and 2 flatblade Stanley screwdrivers. The smallest screwdriver insulated along the metal part with green sleeving. Box of plasters for when you hit your hand with the lump hammer.

Never needed a plaster for that.....not enough blood.:smilewinkgrin: Insulation tape and tissue for finger nicks.

Too young for this thread really but when I started out my grandad gave me all his wooden handled screwdrivers, a metal cantilever tool box and his Yankee screwdriver

still got it all somewhere but I didn't use them for long I was given the RS catalogue and a budget for the basics when I started my apprenticeship

Reply to Old Stanley tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net