Discuss Old Stanley tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

first screwdriver I owned was an all metal mecarno screwdriver god thats a few years back. Tried the stanley yankie screwdriver but couldent get on with it so give up.
Used the knock and twists loads of times in fact still got a few in the shed.
never used one but anyone remember the folding ruler my grandad had one.

think the steel tape was one of the best inventions

and if you want to travel down memory lane theres loads of vintage tools here

Vintage Tools and Gadgets of the 1950s (Page 2)

just select the years you want
i still use a folding rule, it stays in the bottom of my bag till i need a straight edge.

Ha,ha not quite a plumber but an industrial maintenance spark. The BSW and metric spanners were for removing 3 phase motors from their mountings and the 'footprints' were used conduit work and glands etc.

Only joking Stan, do you know still got me 2 sets of footprints to this day.!!

yeras ago i has a metal cantilever toolbox. the top tray on 1 side was divided into 3: screws, rawlplugs, ashtray.

Im round the block and back to a cantilever, done totes , bags etc but bought a cracking FACOM one and its brill , dont need to move tools to find what im lookin for but still use eng case for servicing,

first screwdriver I owned was an all metal mecarno screwdriver god thats a few years back. Tried the stanley yankie screwdriver but couldent get on with it so give up.
Used the knock and twists loads of times in fact still got a few in the shed.
never used one but anyone remember the folding ruler my grandad had one.

think the steel tape was one of the best inventions

and if you want to travel down memory lane theres loads of vintage tools here

Vintage Tools and Gadgets of the 1950s (Page 2)

just select the years you want
Mrs Trev cleared out a neighbour's house after her husband died and she went into a home. I got a Hilti one that folds out to 6 or 7 feet.

Ha ha. I had one of them which had a metal handle that screwed onto the side. Whilst drilling at low level it bit...said handle smacked me in the mouth and damaged my front teeth. Rang employers from Red phone box to inform them I'm off to the dentist.Their response was can the apprentice carry on working!
I still have a couple of those old Wolf drills and I still use them for hole cutting in stainless and other low speed applications. They can be a bit feisty if the bit jams but I don't mind them to be honest. That said I'd think twice before using one above head height whilst on a set of ladders.

Thought I was the bees knees when I bought a Yankee screwdriver
My Yankee screwdrivers were amongst the few things I was glad to see the back of when thay got stolen. I managed to slip with one as a youngster and put the end of it straight through the centre of my hand. I still have the scar as a reminder.

And who has drilled holes using a rawplug tool not just one hole but many
The rawplug tools were damned hard work but in their day they were useful. We also use a tool called a 'bell hanger' which was a long hand drill with a short tee handle on the back that went through wood.

You will have to imagine just how many old tools a man who collects anvils for a hobby,has...some,like my inclinometer ,and analogue tachometer,are genuine antiques with a value,but i still use em' when needed. I have a host of Avo's and the like,and see no reason whatsoever why one of them can't share bag space with a 1720...There was a certain pride attached to tools which were intended for long service,which the owner had to learn how to dress,sharpen,even re-harden and temper...then,"throwaway" tools landed,and another set of skills evaporated with them...Anyway,some new pieces of kit are awesome,including my latest Ledlenser torch,me old carbide lamp sits lonely now,as bloody terrorists have made the purchase of carbide tricky...:stooge_curly:

I bet if people are honest most of the guys on here have done the same they were lethal, but at the same time a very useful tool

Flat edge driver slipping, that's the reason they were awkward at times. Strange, but never used to use pozis or phillips screws.....always flat...and swore by them.

When we had som off cuts of cable we used to "insulate out pliers and drivers with the outer sheath, looked awful

The oldest kit I have is at the back of the garage is my lead forming wedges and the formers (wooden mallets) for shaping lead sheathed cable when I was working on the Airfields.
One set of wedges are 1920's (I think) and the set of formers are 1940's.
Beautifully shapped wooden tools they are too.

I,ve gone back to a cantilever box still got a pair of footprints and a rawltool,the old plumbers bag was called a tool bass and is actually still issued to BT engineers for overhead work,I still had mine up until a few years ago.

th

I,ve gone back to a cantilever box still got a pair of footprints and a rawltool,the old plumbers bag was called a tool bass and is actually still issued to BT engineers for overhead work,I still had mine up until a few years ago.

th

That's the kidddy best tool bag ever, I expect someone will re market them as a Zetoxcvb12z and sell em for a couple of hundred quid, now there's an idea

Reply to Old Stanley tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net