Discuss Old switches different wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Luki01

DIY
Reaction score
What type of switches are these ? How do I replace them , they’re all over the house 3 way switches different wiring never seen them before older house ? Thanks in advance .

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1781.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1780.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 36
What type of switches are these ? How do I replace them , they’re all over the house 3 way switches different wiring never seen them before older house ? Thanks in advance .
To be honest I think those switches are older than me, but it appears to be 3 simple switches so replace the old box with a 3 gang box and install 3 normal switches. It looks like 1 live coming in and feeding 3 different loads. Please turn off power. Good luck and welcome to the forum

I assume this is some extra low voltage system, as the common for the 3 switches appears to be connected to a rivet on the metal plate? Or does it just go into the side of the first switch?

i think it is "mains" voltage, @freddo but that will be 110v in US

And i think the switches are built with the pigtails hanging off like that.... i suppose like the blue tails we get on rcbo's in UK. Permanently connected.

As megawatt says, these must be really old switches, so live bare metal that can be easily touched wasn't thought of at the time.

I assume this is some extra low voltage system, as the common for the 3 switches appears to be connected to a rivet on the metal plate? Or does it just go into the side of the first switch?

It definately looks that way, could be relying on a plastic cover plate for protection or might be neutral switching.

Reply to Old switches different wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net