Discuss On The Books But Been Asked To Do Self Assessment!!!? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I worked beside a boy a couple of years ago and he was given a Red basic model Ford Focus 1.4 petrol "granny motor" and the taxman took 40 pounds a week off him for "benefit in kind" Tax, this is where they take money from you based on what they think perks and bonuses are, well it had a tracker on it and a very over zelous group of office staff sitting in an office down south watched attentively every move of every fleet vehicle, to the extent they would phone up people on their mobile and ask them why they were sitting outside Pizza Hut at half past five, the boys with vans and cars were told that they were not allowed to drive the vans after 6PM PERIOD, they said it was about the insurance the company had and also company policy, so theres a bunch of guys with company vans with logo on, no tax, not allowed to drive after 6pm, okey dokey, then theres the guys who had little biscuit tin cars issued, not allowed to drive after 6pm or on weekends but the tax man took it as a company car, all he seen was the wording "company car" thatl be 40 quid a week peeps...some people even got to the extent that they were being pulled over the coals for doing overtime, finishing at 7Pm and driving home only to get turned upside down and shaken by the company accountants who issued "fines" of 80 pounds for breaching this rule, ended up that a lot of guys left the vans in the building site rubble-clad carpark overnight and used it only at tea times.
Anyway the lad with the focus drove over a bump on the dirt track up to the site, pranged the engine and burst open the oil sump, written off engine and was issued a rental SAAB, top of the range about 50 grand worth of leather interior and chrome, no tracker whatsoever and fully comp hire company insurance......Result.....:) Happy days

When I do my self assessment:
I claim for mobile phone, computer and internet access, laundry £10.50 a week and clothing, tools and batteries and then milage, which either I make a note of the actual milage, or use a route planner such as Tom Tom or windows Autoroute.
I used to claim in full for hand tools that cost less than £100 and anything else was put into a pool where I could only claim a percentage. This has as been stated changed, and we are now allowed to claim the whole expense up to £50,000.
If my work entails staying away from home over night, then I claim subsistance. I claim this even when I ocasionally work night shifts, as I am still away from home overnight.
When I was married, and my wife had a couple of dogs, I started a dog breeding business which meant that all expenses relating to the dogs, such as food, vet bills and kennels were tax deductable.
I only wish I could have thought of a way to claim for the horses.

Reply to On The Books But Been Asked To Do Self Assessment!!!? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net