Discuss On The Books But Been Asked To Do Self Assessment!!!? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tapley1999

Hello people,
Hope you've all had a good Christmas and enjoying your much deserved time off.
OK my post is is like this....
Over the last few years I cottoned onto claiming back my P87 Form (Milage allowance) although i've always been on the books for a numerous amount of firms. I had payouts when I was obviously using my car but didnt bother claiming for ones where I was using the company vehical obviously.
Well last year I raked up a few miles traveling but wasnt beyound that poxy crow flys bull so never recieved any travel. So i popped a p87 form in and just got back that I need to do a self assessment from now on, as it is over the £2500 limit. Firstly will this be every year from now on? also Can I claim back more than just travel now Im doing a self assessment? like washing of clothes, tools, etc etc.

Also since April 2010 i've been working away all over the country but for a company, I get to and from using my car but im paid 25p per mile and travel time. Would I in future be able to claim back say that 15p per mile(As my company pays 25p per mile) from the 40p as stated in the p87 form?
If so then this will be a huge amount as I drive to and from London/ Dublin/Glasgow.
It's all got me a little confussed and I'd appreciate any information from you guys.
Also Would It be worth getting an accountant even though im on the books for a company?

Have A Good New Year

one point to consider. HMRC figures for mileage allowance are 40p/mile if annual mileage is <10,000. 25p/mile if annual mileage is > 10,000.

There's no need to waste money on an accountant, just keep all your expenses receipts (tools etc) and invoices in a folder for when you do your self assessment, then I think you have to keep everything for 4 years in case they want to check where you got your figures from.

There's no need to waste money on an accountant, just keep all your expenses receipts (tools etc) and invoices in a folder for when you do your self assessment, then I think you have to keep everything for 4 years in case they want to check where you got your figures from.
good advice, think it's 6 years though, not 100% on this. good idea would be to buy a second diary, one of those page a day ones and record all expenditure each day. then at end of year, do some adding up. job done and no £500+ accountants fee.

The year of the self assessment from April 2009-April 2010 was a JIB now this firm isn't so that's not a worry til April 2011. So you know of anything I can add to my claim. I thought u had to be self employed.

if your employer is paying you 25p/mile tax free for using your motor, you can't claim anything back for it. what you can claim is workwear and tools, and any other work related expense for which your employer does not reimburse you. also, any courses,memberships you pay for out of your own pocket.

and claim for your meals, within reason.

You can also claim for booze for customers christmas gifts... I do £300 a year, and its all deductible.

ive got something like that on my tax code,its not a lot but im sure its something about tools and washing work uniform etc,been there i worked for a jib co,

But I'm employed not self employed. Surly I can't claim for things like that!

im employed too, never been self empolyed,all work stuff has logo's on,ive also heard you can claim some tax back if your on call and have to buy your tea while on the road,tho ive never looked into it..

im employed too, never been self empolyed,all work stuff has logo's on,ive also heard you can claim some tax back if your on call and have to buy your tea while on the road,tho ive never looked into it..

you can claim for any work related expenses that come out of your own pocket.

I've worked through an umbrella company who allowed for all sorts of expenses like laundry (over about £2.50 a week and you had to provide a receipt or name of launderette), meals at work, phone calls, 40p per mile etc, but last year the lady in the tax office said you couldn't claim for laundry or meals.
Basically you can earn £6475 each year before you have to start paying tax; the idea is you have to show you haven't earned much more than that. Personally i couldn't be bothered keeping a log of all the mileage so just kept a load of petrol receipts which she said was ok.

Like I said the best thing to do is to keep all your receipts and that, probably for 10 years if possible, then if they want to query your tax return you can show them where you've got all your figures from; i don't see there's much they can do other than charge you backdated tax if you've made an honest mistake.

u cant under estimate the benefit of good book keeping anything u buy that is business related any expenses for your car u can claim against your tax bill but if u have a car u only claim back a percentage of the running costs but with a van you can claim back 100 percent
Also with tools you can claim a percentage back as these every year so the first year u by the tools u can claim say 70% then the next year for the same tools you claim 40% then it stays at 40% then good luck with it anyway

The tax rules governing capital expenditure have changed so that the write down of a percentage value of tools etc.. is no longer applicable. You can now claim the full 100% in the tax year of the purchase (up to a certain very high amount that I can't remember). If you use your car for work, you can claim 40p per mile up to 10.000 miles, then 25p thereafter. Mileage starts again after April 5. I can't advise claims when you are employed. My advise is get a good accountant. They don't cost £500 a year. mine does a full tax return for just over £200. i got nearly 3 and half grand back last year. All completely legitimate.

Actually the inland revenue are very helpful, and have lots of information on their website.

And then there is always the internet.

good luck.

i suppose the best way to learn is to have a go yourself you can arrange an interview with your local tax ffice who will help and advise with any questions

Reply to On The Books But Been Asked To Do Self Assessment!!!? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net