Discuss On The Books But Been Asked To Do Self Assessment!!!? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

ive got something like that on my tax code,its not a lot but im sure its something about tools and washing work uniform etc,been there i worked for a jib co,

But I'm employed not self employed. Surly I can't claim for things like that!

im employed too, never been self empolyed,all work stuff has logo's on,ive also heard you can claim some tax back if your on call and have to buy your tea while on the road,tho ive never looked into it..

im employed too, never been self empolyed,all work stuff has logo's on,ive also heard you can claim some tax back if your on call and have to buy your tea while on the road,tho ive never looked into it..

you can claim for any work related expenses that come out of your own pocket.

I've worked through an umbrella company who allowed for all sorts of expenses like laundry (over about £2.50 a week and you had to provide a receipt or name of launderette), meals at work, phone calls, 40p per mile etc, but last year the lady in the tax office said you couldn't claim for laundry or meals.
Basically you can earn £6475 each year before you have to start paying tax; the idea is you have to show you haven't earned much more than that. Personally i couldn't be bothered keeping a log of all the mileage so just kept a load of petrol receipts which she said was ok.

Like I said the best thing to do is to keep all your receipts and that, probably for 10 years if possible, then if they want to query your tax return you can show them where you've got all your figures from; i don't see there's much they can do other than charge you backdated tax if you've made an honest mistake.

u cant under estimate the benefit of good book keeping anything u buy that is business related any expenses for your car u can claim against your tax bill but if u have a car u only claim back a percentage of the running costs but with a van you can claim back 100 percent
Also with tools you can claim a percentage back as these every year so the first year u by the tools u can claim say 70% then the next year for the same tools you claim 40% then it stays at 40% then good luck with it anyway

The tax rules governing capital expenditure have changed so that the write down of a percentage value of tools etc.. is no longer applicable. You can now claim the full 100% in the tax year of the purchase (up to a certain very high amount that I can't remember). If you use your car for work, you can claim 40p per mile up to 10.000 miles, then 25p thereafter. Mileage starts again after April 5. I can't advise claims when you are employed. My advise is get a good accountant. They don't cost £500 a year. mine does a full tax return for just over £200. i got nearly 3 and half grand back last year. All completely legitimate.

Actually the inland revenue are very helpful, and have lots of information on their website.

And then there is always the internet.

good luck.

i suppose the best way to learn is to have a go yourself you can arrange an interview with your local tax ffice who will help and advise with any questions

Reply to On The Books But Been Asked To Do Self Assessment!!!? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net