Discuss Only Approved sparks should be allowed to test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IMO everyone installing electrical work should be able to test.
I dont understand how the 5W courses can teach someone the basic fundamentals of electrics and the science behind testing in a short space of time.

Anyone who has completed a proper training course NVQ3, 230 part 1&2 should be capable in my opinion.
When i trained the requirements for doing 2391 was that you had already passed your 230 part 1&2 (NVQ3) personally I think they should bring this back.

Although it will never happen.

The thing is that is what an approved electrician is, not NIC approved electrician that is a different thing altogether. So I am saying only JIB gold card could do such work.
I dont understand how the 5W courses can teach someone the basic fundamentals of electrics and the science behind testing in a short space of time.

Anyone who has completed a proper training course NVQ3, 230 part 1&2 should be capable in my opinion.
When i trained the requirements for doing 2391 was that you had already passed your 230 part 1&2 (NVQ3) personally I think they should bring this back.

Was it not the 236 part 1 & 2

We've just come across a lad thats done a 3 week course. FFS!! what can you learn in 3 weeks. He was working in a hotel that had a 3ph 200A service. No testing, no certification etc. Did the refurb on bedrooms/ bathrooms which included new circuits, cables in walls at a depth of less than 50mm; Bathrooms electrics. Fitted a new DB to serve all this and told the customer there was no need for RCD protection. He's not tested his work, not certified it etc. Received the customer of more than £13K and will no longer answer his phone!

Nothing will ever change, but it should.

The industry has changed now, years ago an Electrician had to be supervised by an Approved Electrician for example, he was under an Approved and usually had a couple of years to prove his worth before being allowed to work alone without supervision. Today they have broken the trade up into lots of areas, years ago we did everything. It is no problem IMO an Electrician testing his or her own work, they do not have the scope of work these days that there used to be and usually concentrate on either Domestic or Commercial etc, if you install anything you need to be able to test it, so I also disagree with the OP on this occassion.

I think, I know I've told this story before; when I finished my apprenticeship, my college asked if I wanted to take an exam to have Approved status, I did and I passed. No two years, no being supervised. That was back in 1978. So how far back are we going?

And when I decided to give sparkying another go in 2013, after a 28 year break, the JIB renewed my Approved status after an admin fee & multi choice H&S exam.

I think, I know I've told this story before; when I finished my apprenticeship, my college asked if I wanted to take an exam to have Approved status, .
In the late 70s early 80s mate, I didn't know about the exam, just what I said about being 23 or 2 years, that is how we had it here.

I think, I know I've told this story before; when I finished my apprenticeship, my college asked if I wanted to take an exam to have Approved status, I did and I passed. No two years, no being supervised. That was back in 1978. So how far back are we going?

And when I decided to give sparkying another go in 2013, after a 28 year break, the JIB renewed my Approved status after an admin fee & multi choice H&S exam.
Is that all you got lol? I thought a man like you would be a technician, chuckle, just yanking your chain fella :p

In the 4/5 weeks courses you learn the basic principles. Regardless they can set you up to keep learning.
I am still learning new things on a daily basis and I am sure that I will continue to.
This is all about how the courses set you up! I did the new 2391-52 and its taken 7 years to do it as even experienced sparks said it was just a money maker.

I have the following points
1 I was always told your not an electrician if you can't test
2 The impression I get from posts on this forum is that these training outfits just seem to teach to pass the exam not teach the subject.

I have the following points
1 I was always told your not an electrician if you can't test
2 The impression I get from posts on this forum is that these training outfits just seem to teach to pass the exam not teach the subject.

Some of them just show Power points and pass you anyway

2391-20 Design & Verification would be minimum in my eyes to be able to work alone.
2391-10 was a hard exam though, even for people with a good knowledge. When I did mine I was the only one to pass despite everyone being a practising electrician.

Errr 2396 is Design and Verification. It's a level 4 qualification

Reply to Only Approved sparks should be allowed to test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net