Discuss OSO hotwater boiler_Issue heating the water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I currently rent a flat, which uses an OSO hotwater boiler to heat the water but it seems there is an issue heating the water and I thought to ask here in case anyone would have an answer before I ask my landlady to call an electrician.

Attached is an image of the boiler on Pic1 and on Pic2 is the switch with a timer (in red circle) which is linked to the boiler.

The issue is that whenever I take a shower and use all the hot water then there is no hot water until the next day. I asked the concierge in the building and they told me I need to move the switch of the timer to the “permanent” position so the boiler can heat the water instantly.

It’s been a week since I did this, but it seems the issue still persists. For example, the other day I took a shower at 1pm and used all the hot water. I then went to take another shower at 10pm and there was no hot water. There was enough time in between for the boiler to heat the water, but that didn’t happen.

Does anyone know why is this happening?

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Pic2.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 57
I would turn on the switch marked water heater it looks like the tank has 2 heating elements the lower one should be controlled by the night immersion switch and a night time economy 7 tariff the top element should be controlled by the water heater switch and the timeclock this would heat the water during the day to whatever program is set on the time clock

I would turn on the switch marked water heater it looks like the tank has 2 heating elements the lower one should be controlled by the night immersion switch and a night time economy 7 tariff the top element should be controlled by the water heater switch and the timeclock this would heat the water during the day to whatever program is set on the time clock

So, if only the "Night Immersion" switch is on at the moment, then at what time does the system start heating the water?

By the way, I don't know if this matters but my electricity is with British Gas and I'm on the pay as you go tariff like I have a prepayment meter. So, I don't know if the economy 7 tariff is applicable in my case.

So, if only the "Night Immersion" switch is on at the moment, then at what time does the system start heating the water?
Economy 7 is usually 7 hours of cheaper electricity between midnight and 7am although these times can drift a bit to prevent a large network surge
By the way, I don't know if this matters but my electricity is with British Gas and I'm on the pay as you go tariff like I have a prepayment meter. So, I don't know if the economy 7 tariff is applicable in my case.
Can you post a picture of the electricity meter and the cables connected to it so we can possibly identify how it is working

Last edited:
Economy 7 is usually 7 hours of cheaper electricity between midnight and 7am although these times can drift a bit to prevent a large network surge

Can you post a picture of the electricity meter and the cables connected to it so we can possibly identify how it is working
I'm new to the flat and I'm still trying to find where the electricity meter is. I don't think it's in my flat, because the only thing with numbers is that panel where I put the electricity key to transfer the money so I can have electricity in the flat.

I wanted to ask the concierge today for the meter, but he was never in the office. So, next time I find it I'll post a photo. For now, I took the below photo if that helps with the cables etc.

Attachments

• Pic3.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 43
Can you post a picture or two of all the electrical controls on the right hand wall of the cylinder cupboard it looks like you have a mains isolator and a service head so where you put the electricity key is likely to be the meter

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone could assist with another issue I have with this water tank. So, after my first posts I figured out what I need to do to heat the water whenever I want to. I was just switching on the Water Heater switch whenever the hot wate was gone and the whole water was heated in about 4-5 hours.

Now all of a sudden without me changing anything, the water was being heated for only 1 hour and that was not lasting not even for 5 mins of shower (!)

A plumber came and replaced some parts (in red circle on attached photo). But the issue still persists. I'm getting very frustrated!

Anyone has any experience why this might be happening?

Attachments

• Water tank.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 27
Nicole: The time switch you circled in red in pic 2 of #1 controls the top element which heats the upper volume of the tank. For the timer to run the Left switch marked 'Water Heater' must be on and its orange light glowing - is the orange light glowing? If it is not glowing then open up the lid of the consumer unit above and search for a circuit breaker which says 'water heater' - is the lever up or down? It needs to be up for power to the 'water heater'.

For now the timer needs to be in the 'constant ' mode which is when the small knob is in the 'I' position. If the water heater switch is on and the orange light glowing and the small knob in the I position then the top element should be on and heating up the water in the upper volume.

Did the plumber change the thermostat in the top or bottom element or both?

Now to the bottom element. Being at the bottom it will heat the full volume of water but since it is a larger volume of water than for the top element it will necessarily take longer. It should be connected to a so-called 'off peak' supply. I suspect - but need you to find out for me - that this element is turned on and off by your electricity meter - the one you put your key card into. Obviously the right hand immersion switch needs to be on ie rocker down. You may not see its orange light come on unless the time is during the off peak tariff period. There are a number of off peak tariffs on offer - some which only provide cheaper electricity over night 0000 to 0700 called Economy 7 and others which also provide some periods during the day and evening eg Economy 10. To find out whether you have an off peak tariff and which one I need you to look at your bills from your electricity supplier or to ring them up. Or you can take a photo of your bill and attach it for me to look at but do cover up your name, address and account details beforehand.

I also need photos of the full electricity board on the right side wall of the water tank cupboard and one of your prepayment meter - cover up any account details. Also lift up the lid of the consumer unit and take a picture of the rows of switches (circuit breakers) and what is written underneath them.

The advice in the first two paragraphs I hope will provide you with some hot water albeit only half a tank's worth until we sort out the bottom element.

Last edited:
Yes, the orange light of the “Water Heater” switch is glowing. Also, it’s been a few months now that I have the timer to the permanent position and never changed that again.

The plumber changed the thermostat in both the top and bottom elements.

I don’t have anything in that cupboard where the tank is that says “Off peak”. Also, back in October I changed to a credit meter.

About the righthand side switch that says “Night immersion” you are right. I never see the orange light on.

As for the economy 7, I had called British Gas and they told me I’m not on Economy 7. I’m on the variable tariff.

I called OSO and I’ve sent them photos, the replacements that were done by the plumber and what the issue is and they told me that probably the immersion heater is faulty. Could that be right?

The plumber told me that he has ordered new parts for the cylinder, hasn’t told me what these parts are.

Photo attached of the consumer unit.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20230318_114531 (1).jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 22

Reply to OSO hotwater boiler_Issue heating the water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net