Discuss OSO hotwater boiler_Issue heating the water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

About the grasslin- If I have it on the constant on mode, then does it matter if the time is wrong when I switch it on? No. Top element will be completely controlled by Water Heater switch.

For the flashing light, he said it’s just the neon that is not working. It is safe to use then. Would have been nice to replace with a new switch with working neon but you can live with it.

One query which you have not reported on is what to do about time control for the lower element. This can be sorted out when you have decided on whether and which off peak tariff to use and from which supplier.

Just be careful drawing off hot water since the thermostat temperatures have been increased - it could be very hot now.

Please keep me posted on what you decide to do next.

I feel compelled to comment on the matter of the dual rate tariff.
There is a down side in that peak rate electricity is more expensive when you move to a dual rate tariff, so you need to be using a good proportion of power at night (between 45% and 50% is the break point) otherwise there is no saving, in fact the opposite, it is more costly!
If there is storage heating (in use) powered from off-peak, then a dual rate may be more economical, at least for the winter.
If heating is powered partly or completely by normal rate (eg convector or panel heaters), and the 45-50% demand for off-peak is not met, the overall cost will be greater on a dual rate (eg E7).'

I moved from E7 to single rate tariff because heating our 220 litre Cylinder is cheaper that way. We don't have storage heating.

To work out the exact position, you need the rate costs from your supplier, and an idea of the ratio of daytime consumption (or load) to night time consumption/load.

I feel compelled to comment on the matter of the dual rate tariff.
There is a down side in that peak rate electricity is more expensive when you move to a dual rate tariff, so you need to be using a good proportion of power at night (between 45% and 50% is the break point) otherwise there is no saving, in fact the opposite, it is more costly!

While this is generally the case, I've seen E7 tariffs with peak rate maybe only 0.5 pence more expensive than 24 hour tariff since prices have shot up. Always worth looking at options and keeping an eye on suppliers.

While this is generally the case, I've seen E7 tariffs with peak rate maybe only 0.5 pence more expensive than 24 hour tariff since prices have shot up. Always worth looking at options and keeping an eye on suppliers.
I may be gullible taking this at face value: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/economy-7/

The average figures I've looked at have a notable disparity between on and off peak rates - eg
93025B2A-9CF8-438C-BA79-7B4D1BC294F9.jpeg
Figures do vary quite a bit, and I guess it all depends what you can find /negotiate!

Last edited:
I may be gullible taking this at face value: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/economy-7/

The average figures I've looked at have a notable disparity between on and off peak rates - eg
View attachment 107313

Just checked Power NI and the difference has widened slightly since last year, but the tariff I'd looked at for a customer with keypad is now 33.73 pence/kWh peak, against 29.42 pence on a 24hr rate. Not insignificant, but considerably less in percentage terms than prior to price hikes.

I called British Gas again the other day and asked them if I can have the E7 rate. They said an engineer would have to come to install this but there was nothing available in the next month.

Reading all the comments above that if I get E7 then the day rate will increase, I have started considering whether I would like to have the dual rate.

P.S: I don't know if that's a miracle, but since the electrician came two weeks ago somehow I have enough hot water again. I don't know whether the fact that he opened the lids of the two switches and looked ad the cables made a difference. I have no idea! I still have a fear though that all of a sudden I things might stop working again lol. This whole thing was a bad experience because both the plumber and electrician didn't really know what was wrong.

Once you have had an E7 meter installed, and if you find that your electricity costs have increased, you do not have to have the meter changed again to go back to a 24 hour tariff. There might well be a minimum contract term for your E7 tariff or exit fees to pay before it expires, but your supplier should be able to offer an E7 tariff where day and night rates are exactly the same, and identical to the 24 hour tariff.
I recently did this with a couple of Eon accounts, and although they initially said that such a tariff doesn't exist, and I would need to have 'smart' meters fitted, I knew full well that they did, and after 13 emails, and 13 replies, I was transferred to the 24 hour tariff equivalent.

Reply to OSO hotwater boiler_Issue heating the water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net