Discuss other trades in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hope u havent been rubbishing the work to the homeowner!

just had a know it all 'sparky' from british gas telling a customer of mine the intruder alarm spur i fitted for him is 'illegal' because it had no rcd protection, even though it was in trunking!

THAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS!

What was the earthing arrangement of the property?

Don't see what other trades have done wrong Mike?

I have a big gripe with a local plumber, he needs to retire! On one little kitchen refurb he managed to drill through cables 3 times. On another he managed to core a 4" hole through the cables when putting in his flue for Gas.

On a new build the plasterer shoved all the cables for pendants and smokies up, and plastered the ceiling. Floor now needs to be lifted above to find them. Same job, same plasterer, several flush boxes have been plastered over, will be fun finding them. And to clean out the boxes he's used a hammer and bolster. Lugs missing/damaged galore!

On a current restaurant install the gas man has kindly run his gas pipe parallel to kitchen lighting trunking, so close that 2nd fix isn't possible and the Klik roses need to change to the oher side.

On a Kitchen/Extension only one wire/conduit had to remain in the wall. Can you guess which one the builders hit yet?

just had a know it all 'sparky' from british gas telling a customer of mine the intruder alarm spur i fitted for him is 'illegal' because it had no rcd protection, even though it was in trunking!

...The ultimate in British blue-chip utility irony...they spent most of my life,telling everybody how dangerous it was to mix these two,then suddenly,they're inseparable...

ok so... 2 things i have seen

1: putting a toilet and a sink in the same room as the consumer unit.. room must of been 2 meter squire.. any one else think that's weird?

2: go to do a job adding some new leds..... i see the ring circuit clipped to the brick wall..then dot and dabbed with plaster board just stuck on over it??

I think a room 2 meter squire is VERY weird!!!!

2 metres square would be ok though.

Don't all power outlets up to 20A fitted now have to be RCD protected in the new 17th 2015

Regarding British Gas electricians, I was asked by mate if I would take a look at his Mums Garage as lights were flickering randomly.

As with a lot of older people she had signed up for their 'maintenance program', as they still see British Gas , BT etc. as basically a British institution ( which is what they play on) and totally trust them.

It was an old Garage with an Apex roof and had a 'loft' as such which the cables came in.

When I shined the torch I could see shiny copper glinting at me!

Rodents had chewed through loads of the cable never seen nothing quite like that,

the British gas guy had just chocked/taped loads of the cuts up , because it was an awkward space to work in , and I guess could not be arsed to do it!

Strangest thing was, there were no dead/fried rats? :)

Regarding British Gas electricians, I was asked by mate if I would take a look at his Mums Garage as lights were flickering randomly.

As with a lot of older people she had signed up for their 'maintenance program', as they still see British Gas , BT etc. as basically a British institution ( which is what they play on) and totally trust them.

It was an old Garage with an Apex roof and had a 'loft' as such which the cables came in.

When I shined the torch I could see shiny copper glinting at me!

Rodents had chewed through loads of the cable never seen nothing quite like that,

the British gas guy had just chocked/taped loads of the cuts up , because it was an awkward space to work in , and I guess could not be arsed to do it!

Strangest thing was, there were no dead/fried rats? :)

......... or dead/fried B.G. "electricians".

There is now a requirement for RCD protection for socket-outlets up to 20A for all installations. Exceptions are permitted for a specific labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment or where other than for an installation in a dwelling, a documented risk assessment determines that the RCD protection is not necessary.

Haven't read all the new 17th 2015, but have attended a couple of seminars and they did stipulate any power outlet up to 20amps now needs to be rcd protected unless good reason can be given and a risk assessment has been carried out.
I will have a look though the new 17th later after I've had my t.

So not alarm spurs with surface mounted cabling like in my post then

there is no reqiurement in BS7671 for FCUs to have RCD protection. only if the cable is buried in wall<50mm, does 522.6.101 apply.

Go on Welchyboy,let the frustration out,the odd swear word may be justified in this instance
icon10.png

If the Spur has come of a ring or radial with 13A sockets it will need to be RCD protected because you have altered or added on to an existing circuit thus you need to bring the whole circuit up to current regs.

411.3.3 (I)gives you al the info you need

please note there are ecseptions to this. If you have a good reason why the circuit should not be RCD protected and have carried out a risk assesment.

however the definition of a good reason is debatable.

In in a dwelling risk assessments are not permitted therefore exclusion of RCD's are not accepted for this reason.

another exception is a suitably identified socket outlet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment. So this may be your exemption on the alarm. However if there are other 13a sockets on that circuit it will need to be RCD protected.

Reply to other trades in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net