Discuss other trades in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No not the whole installation just a circuit I am altering or adding to.

Ah so you can pick and choose the scope of BS7671 ?

Look, in the example there is nothing wrong with adding RCD protection to a whole circuit to cover an additional spur, just as there is nothing wrong with providing local RCD protection for the work in the form of a RCD FCU.

You really do need to be clear on this one though that only the work you do need comply with the regs. You run the risk of misleading customers if not. I suggest a call to your scheme provider's technical help to clarify the scope of the regs as you are labouring under a misconception, not just a different interpretation.

Having read the regs then had a cuppa then read them again I was not 100% sure on that. Next time I'm just going to this forum to get the answer!! Any chance Andy78 could write the next edition so I could grasp it quicker?

Ah so you can pick and choose the scope of BS7671 ?

Look, in the example there is nothing wrong with adding RCD protection to a whole circuit to cover an additional spur, just as there is nothing wrong with providing local RCD protection for the work in the form of a RCD FCU.

You really do need to be clear on this one though that only the work you do need comply with the regs. You run the risk of misleading customers if not. I suggest a call to your scheme provider's technical help to clarify the scope of the regs as you are labouring under a misconception, not just a different interpretation.

took your advice and contacted my scheme provider. it appears as far as they are concerned I am right. However the point I made about all power outlets up to 20A needs to be RCD protected was wrong, only socket outlets up to 20A. In my defence for this mistake on my behalf it was something I was told at a 17th edition 3rd amend seminar.
The point about spurring of a circuit whether it be an FSU or a socket some contractors beleive they can just keep that spur to the new regs and not update the whole circuit even though it clearly states in my eyes and my providers that any additions or alterations to a circuit. My scheme provider said I was right but if a contractor wanted to just bring up that spur to regs then technically they can but it is better to do it the way I suggest.
Personally I don't want to do things "technically" I want to do things right.

i did pass 11 +, but only attained onc level in the hub-cap nicking department, as, when i was 12, the family left liverpool to move to staffy cher. there i was introduced to some pikeys and obtained my degree in copper theft by the age of 14.
Careful Tel Jezza Clarkson is in the brown stuff again reffering to our traveling friends as Pikeys

took your advice and contacted my scheme provider. it appears as far as they are concerned I am right. However the point I made about all power outlets up to 20A needs to be RCD protected was wrong, only socket outlets up to 20A. In my defence for this mistake on my behalf it was something I was told at a 17th edition 3rd amend seminar.
The point about spurring of a circuit whether it be an FSU or a socket some contractors beleive they can just keep that spur to the new regs and not update the whole circuit even though it clearly states in my eyes and my providers that any additions or alterations to a circuit. My scheme provider said I was right but if a contractor wanted to just bring up that spur to regs then technically they can but it is better to do it the way I suggest.

Technically right is right, like it or not. The regs are but a minimum standard, and you can work to whichever standards you choose for yourself. Just don't go telling customers they need work doing that the regs don't require, because that would technically be wrong.

took your advice and contacted my scheme provider. it appears as far as they are concerned I am right.

So that's clear then, according to your scheme provider the person installing the new spur has to bring the whole circuit up to the current regs.

but if a contractor wanted to just bring up that spur to regs then technically they can but it is better to do it the way I suggest.

So that's clear then, according to your scheme provider the person installing the new spur does not have to bring the whole circuit up to the current regs.

Reply to other trades in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net