Discuss Part P & Testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm Elecsa registered and their stipulation was for £2m of public liability ins. which is what I've got.

Thats you call then, However there is not a hope in hell id be issuing a EIC for somebody else's work. For Example. What would happen if the cables are not in the correct zones and the next homeowner puts a nail through the cable the RCD fails and they die.. Your signing to say its your work and if it end up in court well..

I know this is the worst case scenario but as i say i will allways only give a cert for work i have done. I did do a unfinished house once where everything had been wired, Just required second fix and board and test. Issued EIC however clearly stated that the existing wiring was already there and therefore only responsible for the work i have installed

Thats you call then, However there is not a hope in hell id be issuing a EIC for somebody else's work. For Example. What would happen if the cables are not in the correct zones and the next homeowner puts a nail through the cable the RCD fails and they die.. Your signing to say its your work and if it end up in court well..

I know this is the worst case scenario but as i say i will allways only give a cert for work i have done. I did do a unfinished house once where everything had been wired, Just required second fix and board and test. Issued EIC however clearly stated that the existing wiring was already there and therefore only responsible for the work i have installed

That's what I'm thinking tbh. It won't do the homeowner any good for me to go and give him an EICR if he needs and Installation Cert. I'm not putting my rep on the line for someone else's work. I'll have to advise him he needs a 2391 sparks to test & inspect it who can give him the cert he needs.
Time to walk away from this one methinks.

Re: Part P & Testing

I think you should have 2391 to issue certs (here goes the cat amongst the pigeons) IMO of course
Yes, you 'should' - but you don't.

CLB - As for insurance -

Elecsa require you to have PL to 'join' (or be allowed to pay).

But you need PI to cover you doing EICRs.

Even if it's for someone else's work you haven't overseen? That was my understanding of what 2391 was/is.
not even for that, in fact im currently awaiting for my assessment for Qualified Supervisor, for which i only need my 17th ed cert not even my 2391, i couldnt understand that at all, as ill be counter signing around 40-60 certs a week

I'm Elecsa registered and their stipulation was for £2m of public liability ins. which is what I've got.

That will only cover you for things like somebody tripping over your toolbag and breaking their neck. What Geoff is referring to is to cover you from being sued due to giving out poor advice or not actually doing the job properly. Given that, you may find it hard to get a decent quote if you intend on doing EICRs and don't have a 2391 or it's replacement equivalent. No insurer is going to cover you if all they have to go on is you saying you are competent, they will want to see something concrete.

Part P does not cover inspecting and testing.
Part P only covers electrical installation work.
Napit only insist that you have public liability, I assume because you are a member of their Part P scheme, which by virtue of being Part P does not cover Inspections and Testing of existing installations.
However I feel fairly certain that if you were to join their scheme for Insprction and Testing, they would insist you have professional indemnity.

Reply to Part P & Testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net