Discuss PIR coding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could be some mutual detrimental influence!

You are now telling me I'm wrong and you're right!

As the connections are probably made in a connector block (which is probably IP2X anyway) then live connections are still not readily accessible.

I'm telling you quite definitely wrong. You can make all the arguments in a court of law you want, but this one is going to get you a bigger fine. The OP has stated that it's possible to reach behind the enclosure to where the live parts are and that's readily accessible in anyone's language. When everyone else is saying it's accessible and you're the only one making the opposite argument, it's worth at least considering that you may have to have a rethink. If a consumer unit was fitted at 2.25M and it had a 20mm knockout missing on the side, using your line of logic it would be OK on the basis that it would be fairly difficult to stick your finger in there. The regs don't deal with that difficulty.

As for the connector block, it's not an enclosure, so the IP rating is irrelevant. Try screwing a block to a board with live parts connected and see if you can convince anyone that's alright.

To mine, these don't belong in the same category. If someone uses a key or tool to detach or open something, they will be aware that whatever was previously behind / within will become exposed. OTOH if they use access equipment for some unrelated purpose like cleaning or decorating, they wouldn't anticipate suddenly being exposed to an existing but hidden electrical hazard.

Turned around, if you popped a downlighter out to change a transformer and a bunch of venomous spiders fell out onto you without warning, would you be happy with the explanation 'I keep them up there because they are only accessible from a ladder.'
Doesn't really matter whether you believe they belong in the same category.
The simple fact is that they are in the same category.
Hence uninsulated High Voltage cables on pylons, overhead lines for rail and tram lines, etc.

Doesn't really matter whether you believe they belong in the same category.
The simple fact is that they are in the same category.
Hence uninsulated High Voltage cables on pylons, overhead lines for rail and tram lines, etc.

We are talking about a simple installation here, a light fitting at that.

It's hardly in the same league as the national grid.

for me it's exposed live parts C1.

Probably easy enough to sort fairly quickly with much less effort than has gone in to this thread. :)

Reply to PIR coding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net