Discuss Plastic versas Metal CU's - your chance to vote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Pretty much as the title says - lots of us have opinions but seeing as BEAMA seem to have ruled out plastic CU's lets have a poll - so please add your vote:

Hey, I have a really great idea ... let's have another regulation ... mandating the installation of a thermally operated isolation switch to cut off the supply to a CU if its internal temperature rises above a predetermined maximum level! ;-P

training of people to install the bloody things properly in the first place.

...Hey,there's a notion...i bet there would be a way of funding the yearly checks,which i'd bet this would require...come on fella...i do hope we get Deborah Meaden on board...:icon12:

I don't think the dragons would invest mate. It's so simple there's no way it could be made to work. Not while the scams have their vested interests anyway.

It all boils down to how all this rubbish has come about......and it's certainly not down to apprenticed, fully qualified electricians.

The trade, as we knew it, is on it's knees.......hence all this knee jerk reaction from those that be....

...Hey,there's a notion...i bet there would be a way of funding the yearly checks,which i'd bet this would require...come on fella...i do hope we get Deborah Meaden on board...:icon12:

We've got our own version of her with EC...

yes from me.
quality of plastic units its going steady down, i rather get a proper metal contactum or wylex than some flimsy plastic cr*p.

and i like to have some actual bolts to hold the cover on, hate the plastic "things" used on newer boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the fence at the moment. It is a good idea on terms of not being flimsy, but on my assesment the other day this came up and the assessor said that the reg only is for consumer units and there is no reg to state fire stopping required. So in my eyes even if it is metal, where the cables pass into the unit, the fire could spread out, so seems a bit pointless really.

You all had your chance to 'Vote' on this subject last year.
The IET published the DPC version of Amendment 3 to which all and sundry were invited to comment on.
There was a thread on here reviewing the proposed changes, if I remember rightly, this new CU reg was overlooked or barely noticed.

The quality of consumer units could be improved and the re call of those faulty Mcb's not so far back proves this.
But quality issues accepted, I feel poor installation practice is the route cause of most of these fires.
Wrapping the board up with a just in case attitude is plain ridiculous.
Addressing the cause of, and preventing these fires is surely the place to be with all this.
You can encase the problem, in an attempt to prevent it spreading, but seriously the problem shouldn't be there in the first place.
Maybe I'm just fortunate that I have never had a board I've installed go up in smoke.
Or maybe proper training and time spent gaining experience, over the years from, and along side, skilled tradesman might just have something to do with that "good fortune".
Of course all this has been kicked off in London, which has more than its fair share of part P and fast track courses.
Tracing these consumer unit fires back to the installers, and installation methods, may well find a common denominator in all this.
But wrapping up shoddy work in a bomb proof enclosure, purely in an attempt to stop a fire spreading ???
It shouldn't be happening with such frequency, in the first place.
And it's certainly not going make the problem go away.

Reply to Plastic versas Metal CU's - your chance to vote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net