Discuss Power from house cu to mancave in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't think this is a wind up. I hoped it was.

Lewis 247

Its entirely up to you if you do it or not.

But....

The problem you have is you don't know what you don't know. You are not "electrically skilled".

You may have changed mcb's in the past or done some small electrical jobs, but did you do it correctly.
Just because it functionally worked after does not mean it is safe for continued use.
Also under fault conditions are systems in place to minimise the risk to human life.

It's not what you think you know. It's what you don't know.

Ok I'll just give it ago an see how I get on I do fully understand what you are saying lads but I have done stuff like this many of times without any problems other then the mcb tripping an I put that down to me putting a low amp rated fuse in as stated i was just looking for answers to my questions todo it the safest way possible

Unfortunately, the only thing you know about work you have done in the past is that lights have come on and sockets have supplied power. What you don't know is whether the system is safe, ie. whether the protective device (MCB or fuse) will operate when a fault occurs, whether the insulation resistance is OK, and many other things. These things will only come to light when a fault occurs at some point in the future, and only proper testing using appropriate equipment will confirm that all is actually OK.

I admire you wanting to have a go, but as the guys have said - this is beyond home DIY. You are risking your family, and you are also risking any future occupants of the house in years to come, when a fault may occur and problems may become apparent.

I don't think this is a wind up. I hoped it was.

Lewis 247

Its entirely up to you if you do it or not.

But....

The problem you have is you don't know what you don't know. You are not "electrically skilled".

You may have changed mcb's in the past or done some small electrical jobs, but did you do it correctly.
Just because it functionally worked after does not mean it is safe for continued use.
Also under fault conditions are systems in place to minimise the risk to human life.

It's not what you think you know. It's what you don't know.

It's not a wind up
I'm just looking for a little help as stated i have changed mcb's an done plug circuits an little stuff like that before I am no electrician an I don't think I am i just do it as diy everything I do I normally connect to a mini CU with a 80 amp double pole isolation i do check sockets with a plug tester an try be as safe as possible I always keep a eye on what I have done like cables an fuses to make sure nuffink looks wrong

I'm Sure all will be Ok
I just thought a few of the people on this electrician forum might of wanted to help other then just say get a electrician in if I was gonna get a electrician in i would of just phoned one

I'm Sure all will be Ok
I just thought a few of the people on this electrician forum might of wanted to help other then just say get a electrician in if I was gonna get a electrician in i would of just phoned one

But you are getting an electrician in. A friend of a friend.
He is signing off your work. What has he/she said?

Friend of a friend to look at it didn't say nuffink about signing anything off an that's if they have time to look if I'm honest

If we're frank (or Dave), the only reason you wish to do this yourself, is to save money. You may search the tin'ternet and find some of the info you require. But you won't have the inclination to buy the test equipment you need, to ensure everything is cushty, 'cos it means spending more money, which your trying to save.

You could pop down to B&Q and ask there, as they sell all you need.

Seriously OP, is it really worth a few hundred pounds?

If we're frank (or Dave), the only reason you wish to do this yourself, is to save money. You may search the tin'ternet and find some of the info you require. But you won't have the inclination to buy the test equipment you need, to ensure everything is cushty, 'cos it means spending more money, which your trying to save.

You could pop down to B&Q and ask there, as they sell all you need.

Seriously OP, is it really worth a few hundred pounds?
they actually dont sell everything he needs there, maybe at tradepoint but they likely wont have it either, underground electrical hazard tape is just 1 item i know he wont get there

Why does this come to mind........?
CE045BB6-D6DA-4B2B-9F67-4F4C76C5AA9C.jpeg

Reply to Power from house cu to mancave in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net