Discuss Pulling the main fuse :/ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is that so? considering I work for the DNO!!

I don't care who you work for, that is irrelevant, it might be the case that you need this cocopops certificate thingie to pull the fuse in your job (probably a H&S thing), but by law, no matter who you work for or what you do, you don't need anything to pull a fuse whether that be one in your DB or the main suppliers one, it is not illegal, it does not contravene any statutory or non statutory regulation nor do you breach any by-law. You commit no crime whatsoever by pulling an unsealed suppliers fuse!!!!

Nothing to do with h&s, You have to be authorised to work on dno's cutout by holding a MOCOPA certificate which is renewable every 3years.It is the dno's equipment solely,and it is only them who can withdraw the main fuse and reinstate weather sealed or unsealed end of.

You're talking out of your rear end. Yes you are correct that you need to have authorisation to work on their equipment and/or make alterations to their equipment as it is their property, this is even mentioned in the ESQCRs however removing a fuse is not working on their equipment nor is it altering it!!

Shame, I guess from now on all firemen have got to hold cocopops certification to pull main fuses too, if they don't they've just got to watch the property set alight and burn to the ground :(

You're talking out of your rear end. Yes you are correct that you need to have authorisation to work on their equipment and/or make alterations to their equipment as it is their property, this is even mentioned in the ESQCRs however removing a fuse is not working on their equipment nor is it altering it!!

Shame, I guess from now on all firemen have got to hold cocopops certification to pull main fuses too, if they don't they've just got to watch the property set alight and burn to the ground :(

If it is an high level mains,that situation could only arise if the fireman has his cocopops smoke alarm certificate for climbing his steps in the first instance

Be careful out there,the H+S brigade may be waiting to pounce on this thread (if they have the correct "thread writing" certificate of course)we all know how obsessive they can be

but is it worth stealing the seals once you've cut them and rendered them useless? :35:

Nothing to do with h&s, You have to be authorised to work on dno's cutout by holding a MOCOPA certificate which is renewable every 3years.It is the dno's equipment solely,and it is only them who can withdraw the main fuse and reinstate weather sealed or unsealed end of.

Are you being certificatavist? :dizzy2:

Funny how I've had a UKPN engineer stood next to me while I opperated 11KV switches for them.

Not once in this thread have I heard of a "Pair of Marigolds" mentioned
icon12.png

D Skelton...
I'm already a big fan of your work, and now you have Rommel as your avatar. Awesome!

One of the worst examples of not pulling the fuse happened to one of my apprentices some years back,before D lock came in loop testers had a habit of tripping RCD's,so the trick was to link it out while you did the test.Now I'd always drummed it into my lads to ALWAYS pull the bullet before doing this,and taught them the safe way to do it,after all if you had pulled it to replace tails why chance it live to drop the link in?There were almost no isolators back then,anyway our boss was one of those who would pull the tails live and tape them up while he changed a board,he went mad if anyone pulled a bullet preferring to take stupid risks at times.My apprentice had finally qualified and was out with the boss doing testing, they came to a job I was on and when it came to linking out the RCD the boss insisted it was done live,the tail dropped out and hit the gas pipe,there was a big bang and a blue flash,the young lad was stood there shaking ,luckily the gas pipe suffered no damage sadly the same could not be said for the service fuse which had blown.We then had to call out the DNO to get it replaced,I really enjoyed explaining to their engineer why the fuse had blown,but I enjoyed it even more hearing him tear a strip off the boss for telling the young lad to work live.

i heard many years go, if the fireman want the power off, they just aim the hose at the cutout and bang power off!!

Reply to Pulling the main fuse :/ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net