Discuss RCBO didn't manually turn off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Turned off RCBO (Lewden B32 6kA) to fit new socket. I always test for voltage with both a volt stick and voltage tester. Volt stick went mad. Went back to check the RCBO and its switch was in down position but for some reason not actually "off". Seemed a bit wiggly - switch wasn't pressed hard against the bottom like it's supposed to be. Flicked on and off a few times and was fine.

I will get somebody to replace it. My question is how urgent is this? This type can trip fine (using test button) in when held in place with finger, so I'm not worried about the movement of the switch itself, but I am concerned that there is something not right with the internals which might cause it to not trip properly.

Also, I have 3 other B32s in the consumer unit. Is it worth getting them replaced considering they are probably from the same batch?

Thank you.

Correct solution is to get an electrician to test RCBOs for performance. This will not only see if they actually trip but if within specified times. Peace of mind and your family's safety is worth a call_out fee.

Welcome back to the forum. 9 years and 5 messages later.

Hopefully the RCBOs aren’t too old and can be replaced. Is there a serial number on them? Or post a photo of the board if you’re not sure.

Which part of UK? Maybe a forum member close by that can help out for a minimal payment….

(Beer, wine, Lego or cheesecake)

Reply to RCBO didn't manually turn off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net