Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Rcd advice needed faulty or fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Stuportsmouth

Stuportsmouth DIY

So had to fit a new shower as old one kept tripping the rcd after few seconds assumed the shower was to fault as made a buzzing noise and tripped, on fitting the new shower it had same faukt so checked pressure of water no issue then checked wiring at box also no issue so moved onto next possibiliy of short on cable.
    Yes maybe should of used multimeter and tested each one out but easier as short run in walls so run new cable exactly the same.
    So decided to wire a small flex with bulb holder on that trips rcd changed the 40amp mcb to a 16 amp tried light also trips could this be a faulty rcd its rated 80amp 30ma, we also tested the the curcuit with every mcb turned off with only shower circuit on and also tripped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as would like to think in a 6 bedroom house with each room occupied that of rcd was faulty then it would trip as currently has approx 8 circuits on and only randomly started to happen nothing new has been added.

20171206_165052.jpg

2. TonyMitchell

TonyMitchell Regular EF Member

Have you done a ramp test on the RCD?

3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Not an Electrician then? about time you got one in to test the system properly with the correct test equipment, "lamp and a bulb holder oh dear me DIY disaster on the horizon if I'm not mistaken, do yourself and whoever is helping you a big favour, leave it well alone and get a Sparky in to sort it for you, before you do yourself and your Mate some mischief.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TonyMitchell

As an aside, is circuit #3 no longer "spare" ?

5. Stuportsmouth

Stuportsmouth DIY

Been doing electrics since the age of 10 mate dads fully qualified also worked doing electrics for both single phase and 3 phase air conditioning installs he is 18th edition certified and have been trained to the qualified standard of him.
    I also run all the electrics in the house when was converted in the property it located in and as you can see was fully inspected and checked by a fully qualified electrician and signed off as you can see in the picture of the fusebox I am more than capable of checking things out.
    Also I have checked all earths neutrals and lives on the mcb

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    The 18th edition of BS7871 aint out yet?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Stuportsmouth

Stuportsmouth DIY

Circuit 3 is spare it was originally installed for a circuit that's didn' and up being installed and am going to get a blank for that tomo and remove

8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Checked? what with?

9. TonyMitchell

The 18th edition isn't published until next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TonyMitchell

The spare MCB is fine, it was just confusing to see it on, whilst the spare on circuit #1 is off... hence the question as to whether it was really "spare" or the labelling not updated.

11. Stuportsmouth

Stuportsmouth DIY

And it maybe 17th he had as when working with him many years ago it was 16th haven' done a huge amount of electrics in last 15 years however have done bits a pieces in that time if it' not going to be a simple fix then I'll call my mate out to have a look but just can' get my head around why it trips when it's a 1 cuircut feed to shower of around 8 feet and with every mcb switched off it still trips rcd and on a 16amp breaker still trips the rcd with a 1 bulb light fitted

12. Stuportsmouth

Stuportsmouth DIY

When house was rewired he checked every plug socket unscrewing checked all wiring and earthing and measured each individual with his testing equipment and also pat tested all appliances on house he is full nic eic certified

13. Stuportsmouth

Stuportsmouth DIY

Also forgot to mention I also tried the shower on the unprotected rcd side still tripping the rcd out

14. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Did you connect the N to the N busbar that corresponds with the non RCD side?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Stuportsmouth

Stuportsmouth DIY

Originally no but was done today and still caused the same issue like I said it was all originally working fine without anything being changed over and the old shower unit has also been tested and works fine

• Dumb Dumb x 1