• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Rcd advice needed faulty or fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So had to fit a new shower as old one kept tripping the rcd after few seconds assumed the shower was to fault as made a buzzing noise and tripped, on fitting the new shower it had same faukt so checked pressure of water no issue then checked wiring at box also no issue so moved onto next possibiliy of short on cable.
Yes maybe should of used multimeter and tested each one out but easier as short run in walls so run new cable exactly the same.
So decided to wire a small flex with bulb holder on that trips rcd changed the 40amp mcb to a 16 amp tried light also trips could this be a faulty rcd its rated 80amp 30ma, we also tested the the curcuit with every mcb turned off with only shower circuit on and also tripped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as would like to think in a 6 bedroom house with each room occupied that of rcd was faulty then it would trip as currently has approx 8 circuits on and only randomly started to happen nothing new has been added.

Rcd advice needed faulty or fault 20171206_165052 - EletriciansForums.net

Not an Electrician then? about time you got one in to test the system properly with the correct test equipment, "lamp and a bulb holder oh dear me DIY disaster on the horizon if I'm not mistaken, do yourself and whoever is helping you a big favour, leave it well alone and get a Sparky in to sort it for you, before you do yourself and your Mate some mischief.

Been doing electrics since the age of 10 mate dads fully qualified also worked doing electrics for both single phase and 3 phase air conditioning installs he is 18th edition certified and have been trained to the qualified standard of him.
I also run all the electrics in the house when was converted in the property it located in and as you can see was fully inspected and checked by a fully qualified electrician and signed off as you can see in the picture of the fusebox I am more than capable of checking things out.
Also I have checked all earths neutrals and lives on the mcb

Been doing electrics since the age of 10 mate dads fully qualified also worked doing electrics for both single phase and 3 phase air conditioning installs he is 18th edition certified and have been trained to the qualified standard of him.
I also run all the electrics in the house when was converted in the property it located in and as you can see was fully inspected and checked by a fully qualified electrician and signed off as you can see in the picture of the fusebox I am more than capable of checking things out.
The 18th edition of BS7871 aint out yet?

Checked? what with?

Circuit 3 is spare it was originally installed for a circuit that's didn' and up being installed and am going to get a blank for that tomo and remove
The spare MCB is fine, it was just confusing to see it on, whilst the spare on circuit #1 is off... hence the question as to whether it was really "spare" or the labelling not updated.

The 18th edition of BS7871 aint out yet?
And it maybe 17th he had as when working with him many years ago it was 16th haven' done a huge amount of electrics in last 15 years however have done bits a pieces in that time if it' not going to be a simple fix then I'll call my mate out to have a look but just can' get my head around why it trips when it's a 1 cuircut feed to shower of around 8 feet and with every mcb switched off it still trips rcd and on a 16amp breaker still trips the rcd with a 1 bulb light fitted

Where is the circuit for the shower? What rating is the MCB?

Strikes me that without proper test kit and the knowledge to use it and interpret the results you may well be wasting your time ....

Where is the circuit for the shower? What rating is the MCB?

Strikes me that without proper test kit and the knowledge to use it and interpret the results you may well be wasting your time ....
40amp mcb and mcb is also not tripping used the spare 16amp with lightbulb circuit and still done same a ramp test could be beneficial to test the rcd but then changing the rcd of possibly faulty is also easy main thing being tho of the rcd is faulty it would trip with all the other circuits on board under load and would assume with then isolated that if there was a fault on a circuit with all mcbs turned off that would isolate any fault.
Shower is currently not on any circuit as removed from box and left isolated outside of fuse box

40amp mcb and mcb is also not tripping used the spare 16amp with lightbulb circuit and still done same a ramp test could be beneficial to test the rcd but then changing the rcd of possibly faulty is also easy main thing being tho of the rcd is faulty it would trip with all the other circuits on board under load and would assume with then isolated that if there was a fault on a circuit with all mcbs turned off that would isolate any fault

Punctuation would help!

using what?

regarding isolation of circuits using MCB's, best you ask your dad about how RCD's work ....

With the greatest respect Stu. I'm with the others I think it's best to get someone qualified to look at this.
It's going to involve disconnecting and testing circuits, and I personally wouldn't want to advise someone over a forum especially when it could cause serious injury or death.

Reply to Rcd advice needed faulty or fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back