Discuss Rcd fused connection unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ampo

-
Reaction score
Hi all, could I have opinions on the use of rcd fused please.
Customer has old 3036 at the front of the house.
They want a couple points on there new decking for festoon type lighting switch from inside.
There is a t and e switch fed outside light already so I'm thinking of coming off this to an outside rcd fcu which can feed the first set of lights and then swa to the next standard fcu (fed from load side of the first).

The client wanted sockets instead of spurs but I have said this isn't possible without finding the ring circuit inside the house so they will have to choose non transformer lights.

This will ensure all new stuff is protected. My issue is with the rcd not being to 61008 or 61009. I'm sure I've read that this is a problem but I'm looking at the big book and can't find it

The issue with RCD sockets and RCD FCUs is that they fall under BS EN 7288, which is not listed among the allowable standards. There is not a regulation that says we cannot use them.
There has been much debate, but if I recall correctly, most are in favour of not using them for additional protection, as they don't meet the requirements for additional protection.

For the requirements of BS7671 an rcd spur does not satisfy as a device for providing additional protection. You would have to list it as a departure a prove its use provides the same level protection as that required by BS7671.

Just to add that we can't allow ourselves to be swayed by what the customer wants, if we can't do what they want within acceptable standards and regulations.
I would either find a way to do the job that's within the regulations, or walk away and let someone else do the job.

The issue with RCD sockets and RCD FCUs is that they fall under BS EN 7288, which is not listed among the allowable standards. There is not a regulation that says we cannot use them.
There has been much debate, but if I recall correctly, most are in favour of not using them for additional protection, as they don't meet the requirements for additional protection.
I believe there was an article in "Connections", the NICEIC magazine, that states that 7288 RCDs are considered acceptable as additional protection in the NICEIC's view. (Though it is as pointed out a deviation from BS7671 at the moment).

What that opinion is worth is up to the installer I guess - I did save a copy for reference so I'll see if I can find it...

There's more on this in this previous thread:
The Connections article is in post 13.

There's more on this in this previous thread:

That has the screenshot I obviously saw, though also some conflicting advice from elsewhere ?‍♂️

Though it seems there has been a new version of the standard BS 7288 standard (2019 previously 2016) that has more onerous requirements, but without access to the standards I have no idea if it's made them more or less suitable..

Anyone notice if they put them back in for the DPC for AMD 2?

Just to add that we can't allow ourselves to be swayed by what the customer wants, if we can't do what they want within acceptable standards and regulations.
I would either find a way to do the job that's within the regulations, or walk away and let someone else do the job.
Absolutely agree, and I have a reputation in my area to uphold. Its also important from the other side of the coin though where I'm not looking to inflate unnecessary work off pensioners. Its a balancing act. In this instance if it can't be done simply they will go without, no budget for the db at present unfortunately but I hear what your saying

why not fit a 61008 adjacent to CU, feed from RFC fuse, and then protect the whole of the RFC; then tap off the RFC for your outside works.
That may be an option though I'd need to do some additional tests before I put the whole circuit on. I think in this instance budget is a rcd spur or nowt unfortunately

Reply to Rcd fused connection unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net