Discuss Really Need Some advise Urgently in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think that legally you probably have to give them chance to put right the issues before you can with hold the money and / or pay another company.

This is also part of the REAL code, so you're supposed to only go to them after you've failed to get satisfaction from the companies complaints process.

I'd write a clear list of issues that you want addressed before payment can be made, then email it to the company and ask that this be dealt with as a complaint under their official complaints process, and advise that you will be withholding payment until this is rectified. I do think you're probably on dodgy ground withholding the entire amount though, as they have delivered the bulk of the contract - it's fairly standard practice in these situations to pay most of it and with hold eg 10% or maybe the equivalent of what it'd be likely to cost to get someone else to rectify the problems, so I'd think £1000 max.

WIth holding it all could well cause cash flow issues for the company which could make things more difficult for them with other jobs etc that then might actually delay them being able to get your system sorted, as well as wasting your and their time with lots of arguments over the rights and wrongs of the situation.

I'd forgotten about the inverter.

btw, It might be worth double checking with SMA and maybe the police that the inverter hasn't been reported stolen, ie via the serial number. There was someone a while back going around offering cheap inverters of dubious provenance up here.

Me thinks the team is gonna have a field-day looking at these snaps tomorrow. :camera:

It sounds like a pretty sloppy installation with duff equipment and a shocking attitude.

However, I agree that you should pay some of the outstanding amount as you do have some costly kit. But, I think it's fair to retain a couple of grand until you are satisfied with the job and have the paperwork.

What's this company called? You could check with your local trading standards just to see if there is any more complaints about these guys

Personally, I would NOT pay anything today, write up a list of your concerns and put to the installer, tell him that you will pay him 50% of balance on condition of his acceptance in writing to correct the errors with a 50% retainer for a further week after his claimed correction. If he disputes your concerns then tell him you are witholding all monies until you have had an independent inspection done.

Reagrds to the inverters cutting out for 15 mins at a time, possibly an over voltage problem? Are you in the sticks or a built up area?

Personally, I would NOT pay anything today, write up a list of your concerns and put to the installer, tell him that you will pay him 50% of balance on condition of his acceptance in writing to correct the errors with a 50% retainer for a further week after his claimed correction. If he disputes your concerns then tell him you are witholding all monies until you have had an independent inspection done.

Thats more like it. Sounds an awful awful job. Don't be bullied into anything at the moment you hold the cards (cash). Gut tells me if you cough up you'll never see them again!!!

Reply to Really Need Some advise Urgently in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net