Discuss regs related to NEW installations .. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Z

zuhayr94

hi all. this is my first post here.
im on my level 3 2365 course and i need help,for one of my answers of my 304 task b assignment i stated as part of my answers, "and all other relevant regulations related to new electrical installations". now, one of the problems with these assignments is that i have to back up what i have written with a copy of whatever i mentioned in my answers.
im struggling to find a list of all regulations that apply to new electrical installations/systems.
i can only think of part p regs ... can anyone else help me out with a list of regs related to new installs please ?

looking forward to all your replies.
thanks in advance...

BS7671,covers everything you need to know

i have the BS7671 and im struggling with the way everything is worded to be completely honest.

if anyone would just be kind enough to help me here with a small list as im pulling my hair out with this assignment.
to add insult to injury, city and guilds have decided to remove the assignment related layout diagrams that we need for a majority of this work so if i cant even do what i can without the diagrams i will be seriously lagging behind ..

would be really greatful for all and any help.

you should really be able to navigate your way around the regs on ur own, what are u going to do in the future? ask the forum?

It's a big book with a lot to read,maybe the on site guide would be more helpful,there are various regs covering everything from disconnection times to the correct methods of running cables,without knowing the specific question I can't give you an answer,sorry you'll just have to persevere.

you should really be able to navigate your way around the regs on ur own, what are u going to do in the future? ask the forum?

no sir of course not, i posted here in the hope of getting some help from some experienced individuals quicker than it would take me to find and understand the regs in the bs7671, and then research, and then determine if what material i have is correct and then writing up in my own words as i cant directly quote the bs7671 and i have to go into more detail than the brief points in the bs7671 ...

so u put "and all other relevant regulations related to new electrical installations". without actually knowing what they are?

the questions was simply asking, why is an initial verification carried out.
for my answer (briefly) i wrote that its carried out to confirm that the installation has been constructed to comply to the designers intentions and the relevant regs that apply to new installations.
i have the mark off from my tutor, and i need a printout to put int eh back detailing my answer hence me asking just a few relavant regas that only apply to new installs ...

the questions was simply asking, why is an initial verification carried out.
for my answer (briefly) i wrote that its carried out to confirm that the installation has been constructed to comply to the designers intentions and the relevant regs that apply to new installations.
i have the mark off from my tutor, and i need a printout to put int eh back detailing my answer hence me asking just a few relavant regas that only apply to new installs ...
good start,now look in the book for regs on testing,look out for things such as ensuring all switches are in the phase conductor,correct polarity at sockets and light fittings,and things such as correct selection of overcurrent protective devices.

well, BS7671 applies as regards selection and installation of cables and equipment. protective devices, a read of the early chapters will give you some guidance. then there's building regs., main emphasis is always on safety.

I thought the OP's question was about "other regs" rather than BS7671 and part P, such a Parts A,F,L,M etc. which would be relevent to new builds.
I could be mistaken though.

Archy has already pointed him in the right direction.

good start,now look in the book for regs on testing,look out for things such as ensuring all switches are in the phase conductor,correct polarity at sockets and light fittings,and things such as correct selection of overcurrent protective devices.

thank you,i probably should have started by explaining the question and my answer properly.

the thing is, the answer you've given to me is literally the answer to another question asking what must be checked and the precautions to take during and after installation.

all i need for this one though is are some regulations that apply. and not what they mean if you could just name a few regulations that would be enough for this question, and ill take it from there. what is the reg that your answer above comes under ?

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH, if you open almost ant page of BS7671, you'll find some regs. that apply. take your pick.

I thought the OP's question was about "other regs" rather than BS7671 and part P, such a Parts A,F,L,M etc. which would be relevent to new builds.
I could be mistaken though.

Archy has already pointed him in the right direction.

your exactly right sir !!, sorry ive not explained properly ....

regs that may be considered for electrical installations include.........

bs7671
Part P of the building regs
ESQCRegs
bs 5266 Emergency lighting code of practice
CDM regs 2007
EAW regs 1989
bs 5839 Fire alarms

etc etc

Reply to regs related to NEW installations .. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net