Discuss Removing an electrical cable on customers property... that doesn't belong to the customer! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No Murdoch, if the cable shouldn't be there, and you accidentally damaged it during removal, you might be liable in compensation, but not criminal damage as there was no intent.

Afternoon all,

I have just been to do a quote for an elderly lady to remove a cable from under a stone driveway.

Her neighbours jacked up her car and moved it off her driveway, then made a channel in her driveway, then laid their cable across her driveway to their garage.

They gave her notice of doing this which she refused. The neighbour signed the letter and then added underneath his black belt in karate title just to bully her a little more (an old lady!). Grrrrrr!

She's taking them to court.

My question is, where do I stand about removing this cable on her property. I wont be able to isolate it as it will be on the neighbours property, so basically I can't do it? Plus, the cable is not her property and it's feeding the neighbours shed.

Cheers guys.
Scrotts

What if old lady wants her driveway dug up for monoblock and conveniently forgets about this cable.

I wonder if the cable installation is up to regs anyway. Is it notifiable to an outbuilding?
It’ll be twin&earth, wrong size and connected directly to the supply side of their meter.

Afternoon all,

I have just been to do a quote for an elderly lady to remove a cable from under a stone driveway.

Her neighbours jacked up her car and moved it off her driveway, then made a channel in her driveway, then laid their cable across her driveway to their garage.

They gave her notice of doing this which she refused. The neighbour signed the letter and then added underneath his black belt in karate title just to bully her a little more (an old lady!). Grrrrrr!

She's taking them to court.

My question is, where do I stand about removing this cable on her property. I wont be able to isolate it as it will be on the neighbours property, so basically I can't do it? Plus, the cable is not her property and it's feeding the neighbours shed.

Cheers guys.
How did they manage that?

I'd be wary of every story having 2 sides to it. Let the courts do what they do, and don't waste too much time on it...even if it rules in your customers favour and your customers neighbour has to pay...chances are you won't be the one tasked with the job

Any further info, is it a shared drive etc etc out of interest?
No, it's not shared. She owns her driveway. They do have a back gate that leads out on to her driveway. They then have to walk over her driveway to reach there own.

No, it's not shared. She owns her driveway. They do have a back gate that leads out on to her driveway. They then have to walk over her driveway to reach there own.
We don't know, but this is perhaps a hint as per @pirate post as to what is permitted. The fellow is clearly charmer so perhaps a big fat quote for electrics and stand well back. I would not quote for ground works and she can hire a few big labourers to do that bit perhaps ... If it does turn out to be an abuse, she will be due all costs.

That hints that the neighbour has some rights of access to the driveway. But that may be limited to foot access, repairs etc. Only the courts can sort this. Anything else is pure speculation.

Need to check the deeds, the gate may not be allowed but if its been there X amount years she's stuffed, digging up someones drive is not on as well as jacking up and moving her car, I would have thought that its criminal damage that the Police can deal with as then it changes form a civil matter to a criminal matter.

If the neighbours have no access rights over and under her drive she should inform the people who installed the cable to remove it and at the same time "invoice" the neighbours for the use of her land to hold their cable, issue an invoice monthly when they don't pay small claims court.

To run any supply on someone else's land needs a wayleave to be in operation, if this is not present then digging up and laying the cable is a criminal act, I had a similar incident with the SELB when they erected power pylons on my land without permission, unfortunately they have more power than I, in court I was only allowed to apply for compensation and rental, not to insist they where taken down, a wayleave was put in place and is written into my land registry documentation.

To run any supply on someone else's land needs a wayleave to be in operation, if this is not present then digging up and laying the cable is a criminal act, I had a similar incident with the SELB when they erected power pylons on my land without permission, unfortunately they have more power than I, in court I was only allowed to apply for compensation and rental, not to insist they where taken down, a wayleave was put in place and is written into my land registry documentation.

Reply to Removing an electrical cable on customers property... that doesn't belong to the customer! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net