Discuss Replace 2 Way Ceiling Light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

antmill

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. I am trying to replace a ceiling light but the new light has a different wiring connection. If the answers simple enough I will do it myself as done this type of thing before. If not ill wait for my electrician but getting hold of anyone to do this at the minute is impossible.

Ive posted existing wiring below and new light fitting.

celing_rose_2_lights_start_newcolours.png

IMG_6701.jpg

Do i just need to replace the blocks with a new set. Would i literally just need a row of 9 blocks (One of those for all earth to go to)?;

IMG_6702.jpg

Many thanks in advance

All the Neutruals need join together and go into the N (blue)
all the line need to go into the L (brown)
the 2 cables in loop just need to be connected together and not to anything else.

all the earth cables need to be in the earth terminal

No do not connect it like that!
The two browns in the 'loop' terminal put in a totally separate connector on their own. The two blues in the 'neutral' into the terminal with the blue wire. The brown and blue with the brown sleeve in the 'line' into the terminal with the brown wire. Earths to earth.

Ah okay - like this then? And if this is correct shall i replace the existing 3 block with a 4 so its all attached to the earth plate?

Thanks so muchIMG_6701-3.jpgBlocks.jpg

Yes I would replace it with a four way and your connections are correct. Before you disconnect, assuming you haven't done so already get a marker pen and put dots on the two neutrals so they aren't confused with the brown sleeved one should the sleeve fall off. Same with the browns in the 'loop'.

Last edited:
Yes I would replace it with a four way and your connections are correct. Before you disconnect, assuming you haven't done so already get a marker pen and put dots on the two neutrals so they aren't confused with the brown sleeved one should the sleeve fall off. Same with the browns in the 'loop'.
Amazing - thank you so much for your help!

Reply to Replace 2 Way Ceiling Light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net