• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Retrospective Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking for opinions on a popular dispute between our guys.

Are the regulations retrospective?

By this i mean would you add to a ring main or install a socket without RCD protection?
Would you do the same with lights now as per new 18th edition?
If doing an EICR you see trunking up high which the cables come come loose in the event of a fire but do not fit clip as "it complied with a previous edition of the regulations"

This last statement is something i hear time and time again and it is something i totally dismiss. The regs are there to be followed.

The work you do has to comply with current regs. How you achieve this is up to you but it only pertains to the work being done and not any of the existing installation with the exception of fundamental requirements such as earthing and bonding.

When inspecting an older installation "it complied at time of install" has nowt to do with it. We inspect using the current standard against which to evaluate danger or potential danger.

References
introduction to BS7671
Section 621

I totally agree with both of the above points.

Some of the sparks i know would happily spur a new socket off a ring main which has rewireable fuses with no rcd protection and say the circuit complied with a previous edition wtf?

I think the new lighting reg is daft too but it is there regardless so am i right in saying that in future if changing a light the circuit has no rcd you should be installing one to additionally protect the circuit? Some of my guys are saying clients wont agree to that! A cheap job has just become an expensive job. I dont buy that answer at all the regs are there to be followed of not then what is the point?

The problem is, the public... they have no clue about the regulations and the IET (in my opinion at least) don't do enough to educate them.

So when you rock up, give a dam, and quote to do a compliant safe job you're going to be more expensive than Dangerous Dave who doesn't give a fig about little issues like no RCD protection or the earthing and bonding.

So when changing a light under the 18th edition and the lighting circuit has no RCD protection and the consumer unit has no room to instal said RCD, what are we to do? As said previously a cheap £25 light change job becomes “sorry, but you need a new £500+ consumer unit installed, because the circuit now requires RCD protection”, ‘oh thank you Mr Electrician, please turn this simple cheap job in to an expensive rip off job, just wait there while I go contact BBC Watchdog’.....

So when changing a light under the 18th edition and the lighting circuit has no RCD protection and the consumer unit has no room to instal said RCD, what are we to do? As said previously a cheap £25 light change job becomes “sorry, but you need a new £500+ consumer unit installed, because the circuit now requires RCD protection”, ‘oh thank you Mr Electrician, please turn this simple cheap job in to an expensive rip off job, just wait there while I go contact BBC Watchdog’.....

Or provide a stand alone RCD, or RCD FCU for a circuit alteration.

Changing a light fitting would not be a circuit alteration in my eyes.

I do agree it's a stupid new reg though.

Anything you install now should comply with the current regulations.

An EICR carried out now should be carried out to the current regulations, however you only report on items concerning safety, you don’t report on items which don’t comply but have no effect on safety.
For example the old colours don’t comply, but don’t effect the safety of the installation.

The work you do has to comply with current regs. How you achieve this is up to you but it only pertains to the work being done and not any of the existing installation with the exception of fundamental requirements such as earthing and bonding.

When inspecting an older installation "it complied at time of install" has nowt to do with it. We inspect using the current standard against which to evaluate danger or potential danger.

References
introduction to BS7671
Section 621

References
introduction to BS7671
Section 621

Is there anything in the bs7671 regs book itself that back this up. I agree with you in that the work carried out should comply but not necessarily back dated to the whole installation if you are only working on 1 circuit.

I've recently been roasted because of this and looking for some clarification to come back with if the subject arrises again.

Is it a ring main?

Seems a simple question to me? If ‘your guys’ can’t interpret simple Regs, maybe you need new ‘guys’ why are they arguing!?

Is it a ring main?

Seems a simple question to me? If ‘your guys’ can’t interpret simple Regs, maybe you need new ‘guys’ why are they arguing!?

No it was a new circuit out on the eve side of a splitload board so everything with the newly installed circuit was compliant. I was told that the other 4 lighting/other mcbs (not worked on) should have been replaced for rcbos to make them compliant even though they were never touched.

No it was a new circuit out on the eve side of a splitload board so everything with the newly installed circuit was compliant. I was told that the other 4 lighting/other mcbs (not worked on) should have been replaced for rcbos to make them compliant even though they were never touched.

Who told you that?

By my way of thinking that kind of standards he looking for would lead any electrician changing a socket front would have to replace a plastic consumer unit for a metal one because it's not up to current standards!!

I think the new lighting reg is daft too but it is there regardless so am i right in saying that in future if changing a light the circuit has no rcd you should be installing one to additionally protect the circuit? Some of my guys are saying clients wont agree to that! A cheap job has just become an expensive job. I dont buy that answer at all the regs are there to be followed of not then what is the point?
More expensive yes, but not necessarily hugely more expensive, you could put a rcd in an enclosure on top or next to the CU and route the light circuit through that. not a vastly difficult task. a cheap non high end branded RCD can be bought for under £20 and a suitable enclosure for not much more. similar for sockets, can use a rcd socket or spur where possible or put one at the CU.

Reply to Retrospective Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back