Discuss Rewiring 40-50 year old wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title, just after a couple of pointers. Basically I've just bought a house, the existing wiring is the old colours but the CPC has a dark green sleeve, on top of that there is only 3 circuits for the house, a power a lighting and a 16a radial feed to the kitchen?
I've had a face plates of the socket and there is only 1 no. Socket in both bedrooms, and the middle floor is on a ring, whereas the top floor socket has been spurred off it, the plan was just to add some sockets but without spurring of a spur it looks like the ring will have to be reconnected. So I'm tempted to get a rewire, as it's going to start getting to that price with adding new sockets and the wiring bring 50 years old.

My main question is the consumer init, at the moment Ive got a plastic boxed (should be metal) unit with only one RCD and appropriate bonding to the 17th, I know ideally you'd have two RCD but to save 500 odd quid I'm wondering if it's compliant leaving alone because its existing.

Really appreciate any advice given.

Thanks

if you are going for a rewire, then :
1. you can have more sockets where you need them
2. lighting can be upgraded to your needs. e.g. downlights
3. an upgrade of the CU will be less than £500 as part of a rewire, unless you go for RCBOs for each circuit, which, in the scale of things, is advisable. for a 3 bed semi, the total cost should be around £4k -£5k depending on the extent of the works.

Just a thought - if you don't have the funds to pay outright for a full wire then obtain three estimates and with them go to see you bank manager for a loan to pay for the work. That's what my friend did and had no trouble obtaining a loan. A full rewire with certificates adds to the value of your home which is the way the HSBC bank manager saw it too.

If you do go for the rewire - just make sure you write a specification for what you want now and possible future upgrades.

Talk it through with sparks who come to quote

Think about CAT 5 or 6 to rooms with TV's, aerial cables, boiler control wiring, mains smoke and heat alarms, outside lights and power .....

Adding things later could be major upheaval, more plastering and decorating and higher costs

Rewires, new circuits and changes in bathrooms fall under Part P of the building regs - so make sure the person doing the work provides electrical certificates AND Part P certificates too.

If you have just bought a house, skimping on trying to keep an aged fuseboard is not a good idea, nor would it comply with the regs...
Agree regarding an aged fuse board, and a minor point but according to the op it's a single RCD plastic consumer unit, i wouldn't call it aged although the make, condition and size would affect matters. It would certainly comply with regs if the non RCD ways had rcd protection installed before the rewire as the current regs are not retrospective.

up here we don't have the advantage of thieving dockers on the thames selling off imported cable and accessories on the cheap.we have to buy from wholesalers.
It shows that you haven't been in London since the 1960's all the old warehouses are now posh flats and the old "docks" don't exist anymore (my Father use to spend time at the docks when getting his next contract for a run on a ship)

Your docks are still running though, I know the prices for scarp alloy wheels have crashed but you can still get LAP stuff from Screwfix for your rewire of a Coronation Street style house ;o))))))))

Only pulling your leg, you on the Diamond White/White Lightning already?

Agree regarding an aged fuse board, and a minor point but according to the op it's a single RCD plastic consumer unit, i wouldn't call it aged although the make, condition and size would affect matters. It would certainly comply with regs if the non RCD ways had rcd protection installed before the rewire as the current regs are not retrospective.

But nobody in their right mind would keep an up front RCD board - unless they come to work on a horse.

Reply to Rewiring 40-50 year old wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net