Discuss rings within rings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adamh

I tested a job last week and ive been typing up a quote this morning and I cant find a regulation as to why you cant have a ring within a ring or a figure of 8 so to speak.. maybe im half asleep but ive checked the BGB and all i can find is appendix 15 which refers to reg 433.1.103

none of the above makes any reference to rings within rings but im happy I can explain that the circuit cannot be tested properly ensuring continuity of all conductors and therefore the OCPD can not safely be left at 32A. I can not successfully test for spurs or unfused spurs from spurs etc. And on top of that the floor area covered is a couple of hundred square meters so there is a potential voltage drop which i also cannot verify and to boot it has an IR reading of 0.18Mohms

Anyone willing to point me in the right direction? The only place i haven't checked is GN3 but its not to hand this morning. Thanks Adam

It's not a 'standard circuit' and would be difficult to test, as it's not a ring or a radial. If it were me I'd try to put it right.

Could it be a case of a link across the ring rather than and ring within a ring? That said with an IR of 0.18 something should be done!

yes i agree i am quoting to rewire the socket outlet circuits to this part of the house which will end up being an upstairs , downstairs and kitchen RFC. It's a large house and this circuit is massively overloaded and I believe this is the possible cause for the low IR reading even as you start to split it the reading are all very low <2Mohms . I was just going to quote reg nos in my quote and hit a brick wall with the above...

yes i agree i am quoting to rewire the socket outlet circuits to this part of the house which will end up being an upstairs , downstairs and kitchen RFC. It's a large house and this circuit is massively overloaded and I believe this is the possible cause for the low IR reading even as you start to split it the reading are all very low <2Mohms . I was just going to quote reg nos in my quote and hit a brick wall with the above...

The low IR would be a good place to start, and if the property is that large surely the best practice approach to make 2 smaller circuits and split the load should work. As for specific regs, ouch!

No its not just 1 link the house is old and its had several alterations over the years from 2 dwellings to 1 its had an extension the kitchen has also been moved i disconnected a cable to the alarm and i still had a live but no neutral so there is definately a joint somewhere there and on top of that with it split in several places i still had continuity at the board and a few socket outlets (all different readings)

ive got no doubts that i could find and rectify all these faults but with the time and expense of it all it wouldnt be worth it as its not fit for purpose anyway..

i was mainly wondering if there was a specific reg i could of quoted? for future use really :)

Reply to rings within rings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net