Discuss Rotary isolators in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

sjhall

-
Reaction score
As above, can any recommend a decent brand, I've been using 63a & 100a IMO Stag branded ones which have caused me no end of trouble with screw heads shearing off with minimum force, I've changed the guts on 3 of these and now lost total faith in them.

Cheers

We use salsa isolators and have never had an issue with them

Probably used 50-100 in last year and no problems

I think this is the 100amp TP+N version but not sure because it doesnt say brand but I looks about right

www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMIS4100.html

Ip65

SMIS4100.JPG

Last edited:
As above, can any recommend a decent brand, I've been using 63a & 100a IMO Stag branded ones which have caused me no end of trouble with screw heads shearing off with minimum force, I've changed the guts on 3 of these and now lost total faith in them.

Cheers
We don't, as a rule, use rotary isolators but one of our suppliers has them.
A link...

Welcome to Europa Components!

They have various arrangements from 25A to 125A in one range and 160A to 800A in another.
Open for mounting in your panel or boxed, door interlocked

We buy mainly push buttons, LED indicator lamps, DIN rail terminals......control gear etc and contactors up to 780A AC3.

Our experience with them is excellent. and their prices are pretty competitive.

We don't, as a rule, use rotary isolators but one of our suppliers has them.
A link...

Welcome to Europa Components!

They have various arrangements from 25A to 125A in one range and 160A to 800A in another.
Open for mounting in your panel or boxed, door interlocked

We buy mainly push buttons, LED indicator lamps, DIN rail terminals......control gear etc and contactors up to 780A AC3.

Our experience with them is excellent. and their prices are pretty competitive.

Why dont you use rotary isolator's?

Why dont you use rotary isolator's?
Mainly because we don't have a call for them.
Our business is mostly variable speed drives and other power electronics equipment.
It is almost exclusively 3-phase and we use either three or four pole fuse switches on the input.
Quite often that is customer specification driven

I would imagine it's something to do with the vast majority of them being flimsy plastic tat.

I've replaced a fair few of them where the internal contacts have either melted into the plastic and stopped making, or else they've welded together. Or the plastic has just fatigued to the point of breaking.

Never had the same trouble with good solid old fashioned isolators though.

I would imagine it's something to do with the vast majority of them being flimsy plastic tat.

I've replaced a fair few of them where the internal contacts have either melted into the plastic and stopped making, or else they've welded together. Or the plastic has just fatigued to the point of breaking.

Never had the same trouble with good solid old fashioned isolators though.

Schneider make metal isolators, seemed quite good when I last used them.

They say an Englishman laughs three times at a joke. The first time when everybody gets it, the second a week later when he thinks he gets it, the third time a month later when somebody explains it to him.

Paddy and Sean are planning to go out on a Saturday night, but only have 50 cents between them. Paddy has an idea, he takes the 50 cents of Sean, goes to a butchers and buys a sausage. Sean is really ****ed off at first that Paddy spent their last money on a sausage, but Paddy lets him in on his plan. "We are going into the next pub, order two pints, drink them and when it comes to paying you go down on your knees, unzip my trousers, pull the sausage out and start sucking on it" So, they go into the first pub and do exactly as Paddy suggested. The barmaid is disgusted by the sight and kicks the two out. Paddy says: "see it works, we didn't pay did we?" As Paddy's plan seems to be working they carry on doing it... In the 12th pub, both are quite drunk by now, Sean isn't looking to good. They have just finished their pints... Sean: "I can't do this anymore Paddy my bloody knees are hurting as ****...!" Paddy: "No worries...I lost that bloody sausage in the third pub!"

Reply to Rotary isolators in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net