Discuss Running of distribution cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It confirms what I already had in mind to an extent. I thought I would ask others their advice incase there was a better way. Why would I not be up to doing this work Pete?
Some of the questions you have asked, I really didn't intend to be rude or disrespectful Mark

Obviously you have a better idea of any possible issues with any of our suggestions because you know the layout first hand

From what I can see,you have a lot of blockwork to play with on the door wall, perhaps you could make use of that lower wall by sitting it on the top of the blocks (not sure if you need to pass that steel upright)

Obviously you have a better idea of any possible issues with any of our suggestions because you know the layout first hand

From what I can see,you have a lot of blockwork to play with on the door wall, perhaps you could make use of that lower wall by sitting it on the top of the blocks (not sure if you need to pass that steel upright)
There are obstacles galore Des. It's not a straight run by any stretch of the imagination. I haven't got the most experience with tray and trunking so was hoping for some inspiration!! I'll work it out!!

tri rated singles in galv. trunking then. some nice metal crunching for you.

Cable basket is much easier to install than Tray in my opinion , can be easily cut with large bolt cutters and bent into shape, angles are held in position with fixing clamps.

Ok. Thanks for all your advice. It's very much appreciated. I've just been reading through the WPD paperwork and it specifies that "The tails should be Tri-rated cable" Does anyone know if SWA is classed as Tri-rated?
Mark if they are fitting a CT chamber are you sure the Tri rated is not just from the CTs to the meter?

Mark if they are fitting a CT chamber are you sure the Tri rated is not just from the CTs to the meter?
This is what the paperwork says

IMG_5765.JPG

Ask them for clarification Mark, I've done plenty of these and have never used tri-rated, in fact EDF specifically say not to use tri-rated for the meter because of problems with tightening up the terminal on the tri-rated cables.
I think that's a good idea as I read the same thing on another DNO's website

I think that's a good idea as I read the same thing on another DNO's website

Also check about isolators, you will need one as a single point of isolation probably above the new head before the ct chamber, not sure if you need one after it as it's a 20M run, then one before the new Busbar chamber. 3 x 200Amp isolators push the price up a bit! Best check with the DNO see what they want.

Also check about isolators, you will need one as a single point of isolation probably above the new head before the ct chamber, not sure if you need one after it as it's a 20M run, then one before the new Busbar chamber. 3 x 200Amp isolators push the price up a bit! Best check with the DNO see what they want.
I would have thought that after the DNOs meter what you do is your own business, design it properly no problems.

EDF specifically say not to use tri-rated for the meter because of problems with tightening up the terminal on the tri-rated cables.
Surely the cables will be in crimp lugs to attach to the bolt terminals in the cutout? Much easier to feed through the CTs than standard tails.

Surely the cables will be in crimp lugs to attach to the bolt terminals in the cutout? Much easier to feed through the CTs than standard tails.

CT chambers have solid bars. IMG_5660.PNG

You don't thread the cables through the CTs anymore.

Never installed tri-rated in a CT chamber normally either a swa or normal singles. Only ever worked in London/Essex though so it might be different elsewhere.

Interesting, the last 4 I did all went to the cutout fuses. I've never seen on like that before. Perhaps not used often in this part of the country.

Interesting, the last 4 I did all went to the cutout fuses. I've never seen on like that before. Perhaps not used often in this part of the country.

The one in the photo is a Ryefield and I know the Blakely is the same, I've never seen any other type! Must be regional.
That's why I like this site, every days a school day!:smiley:

Reply to Running of distribution cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net