Discuss self assessment HELP please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am doing my self assessment for the first time. I am strugling a bit with what I can claim back. I have called HMRC regarding wich courses I can claim back and they said that I can not claim back expenses for any courses that made me an electrician. Only the further courses that would keep me in work.
So if I did these courses which ones could I claim back:
- NVQ Level 3
- 17th edition
- AM2

I would think that at least I could claim back the cost of 2391 and 2377 ?

Also, I use my own car for work. Apart from diesel expenses what else could I claim back?

Thank you all!

as for the car, claim approx 43p/mile. that's a set figure the taxman allows for all car expenses. just give him your work mileage.

claim the cost of ALL courses. worst scenario is he can refuse some

Last edited:
Hi Mate if you go to hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel you will see that for 2011/2012 you can ofset 45p for the first 10,000 business miles and 25p thereafter. I hope this helps a little but also i agree that a creative accountant could save you a lot of money and is worth considering.

You could argue that as you don't require any qualifications at all to be an electrician, then the cost of all of the courses are claimable.
That aside, I would claim the 17th, the 2391, the 2377 and the NVQ3, as there are many electricians (myself included) who don't have all of those.
If you did the AM2 after becoming self employed as an electrician, then you should also be able to claim for that.
You should only claim millage, if you use a private vehicle for travelling, as this allowance is intended to cover a percentage of the fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc. If you're alreay claiming for a works van, then you wouldn't be allowed to claim millage.

I claim for tools and tool bags/boxes, batteries, clothing and laundry, anything to do with my computer and internet, mobile phone, any courses and cards (CSCS, ESC, LUCAS, IPAF, etc.), membership fees (IET, NICEIC, etc.), subsistance if I work nights or am away from home overnight and anything else that could arguably be considered as a business expense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I claim every penny I need to keep me working and then if need be argue the ---- with the tax bandit if an MP can claim for attending conferances and politcal seminars I can claim for quals & courses, scheme fees, PL & PI insurance and any other bloody thing that some sod has there hand in my pocket for
Pict

Reply to self assessment HELP please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net