Currently reading:
shavers only ! toothbrush charging debate.

Discuss shavers only ! toothbrush charging debate. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to get a clear answer regarding whether or not you can use a shaver point to charge an electric toothbrush.
The main opinions I've collected so far are
1. You can't, they are not designed for long periods of use which electric toothbrush charging would require.
2. You can, the "shaver only" notice is just to stop people trying to plug in euro 2 pin hairdryers etc.
Ive seen an MK shaver point with symbols suggesting you can use it for both shavers and electric toothbrushes, not sure how this unit differentiates itself electrically from most other "shaver only" products on the market.
It has been hard to find a solid answer from a respectable source regarding this.
Any opinions?

thanks, appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I wished MK clearly stated in the technical info that the shaver is suitable for charging over long periods of time (at least the time it takes to charge your average toothbrush/shaver etc), whilst I do sincerely appreciate the opinions of trade experts on here, it would be nice to see some official confirmation from the manufacturer, this is what I'm trying to get at. :)
What is not clear in the technical info that the model I mentioned is not suitable as a toothbrush charger, or will not give a continuous power output of 20VA (200mA trip current apparently)? There is no caveat as to duty cycle or time limit.

Last edited:
Mind you, having said that in my previous post, I see the Click Scolmore data sheet has a 'disclaimer' about not using their shaver unit for charging purposes. https://www.mylights.co.uk/images/pdf/VPSC100GY.pdf
I'm hoping more research on BS EN 61558-2-5:2010, might make it clearer where the concern about suitability for charging comes from. I'm just wondering if it stems from the test house carrying out the type testing, requiring such a statement because of the (poor?) performance of the overload protection arrangement.

I believe it was mentioned before… the shaver socket as we know it was produced for CORDED shavers. Now everything is cordless, are we using the wrong equipment?
A charging battery will use much less power than trying to run a motor… but is on for much longer.

I do know that the pictogram on my socket denotes a corded shaver. (Wylex, I think)
Has anyone got instructions for a shaver socket that explicitly states that only corded shavers be plugged in, or that other things like battery shavers and toothbrushes must not be.

The pictogram is defined in the standard, so I assume putting it on the outlet is a prerequisite for compliance.
You've made me think, perhaps the issue is all about too little load.
The standard allows a no-load transformer voltage of 275V
Maybe the issue is, with a 1W toothbrush charger, the voltage could be higher than the charger is rated for?

Reply to shavers only ! toothbrush charging debate. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock