Discuss Shuco mount on thin concrete tiles in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MikeXl426

Hi

I'm looking into installing a PV system onto a roof with those small, close fitting concrete tiles a bit like a rosemary roof. Using a schuco mounting bracket, the tiles are lifted slightly and don't sit comfortably as the knee of the bracket is very slightly too high and there's nothing smaller. I'm thinking of trying to grind the tiles a bit to help them to sit better but am wondering if anyone's got any ideas or suggestions on how to relieve them and help them sit better? Tips and tricks much appreciated!

Mike

Be very careful about grinding out the back. If you take too much out then there is a very real risk that the tile will weaken and break.

Could you remove the tile altogether and use some lead flashing? Ugly solution, but practical.

Be very careful about grinding out the back. If you take too much out then there is a very real risk that the tile will weaken and break.

Could you remove the tile altogether and use some lead flashing? Ugly solution, but practical.

Yeah....these tiles are stupidly thin. I suppose I could remove and use lead but I can't imagine doing 30-odd of these. How much lift do you think is acceptable before it becomes impractical to just let the tile sit slightly high?

It's a judgement call. If the tiles are lifted too much then you could get driving rain seeping through them (although this is unlikely with panels above them). Also, there is the danger of wind getting under them. Go for the lead. It will take longer but at least it will be right.

this may sound like a daft question - but as im not a roofer, if you remove a tile and flash over with lead, whats supporting the lead? wont it sag?

If you put the bracket over the joint in two tiles so that the tile that sits over sits centrally on the bracket then it looks terrible as the tiles site proud by 6mm or so.

Run the bracket down the centre of the tile then the two tiles that sit on top of the bracket are only lifted on one side each and and it barely shows, it doesn't weaken the tile or compromise the water seal, try it it works just fine.

It might seem like a dumb question, but doesn't positioning of the tile depend on the rafter? So you may not be able to put the bracket so it sits centrally over a tile. Or am I being stupid here?

Reply to Shuco mount on thin concrete tiles in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net