Currently reading:
Sockets in bathrooms

Discuss Sockets in bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

How long before BS 7671 allows socket outlets in bathrooms

• Amendment to 18th

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 19th

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Never - far too dangerous

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In France there is little chance that sockets would be removed as they already exist, so education is the only real way forward there.

Here we are debating if we should add sockets to bathrooms, and if we did we then would be facing the French dilemma of how to keep them from causing avoidable death/injury.

As I said before ultimately this is a political decision, not an engineering one, as it comes down to the question of convenience for bathroom sockets versus consequences of them being present.

And it is not about what you or I might want a socket for, it is about what other would do should it be present. For example, it would never occur to me to use a phone/laptop in a bath (even on battery mode), but obviously other do as sadly that French article on electrocution revealed. Similarly I would not fit a washing machine or dishwasher in a bathroom, but given a socket and water facilities that would happen pronto!
I agree that politics will be and indeed should be a involved regarding these decisions. It's clearly a decision on a much different level than increasing the size of the CPC in T&E (though I suspect there may have been a little politics there as well) because of the heightened safety factor.

Heightened safety factor by increasing the size of the CPC or decreasing it amazingly ambiguous statement.
Ambiguous is spot on. Should never have mentioned anything about the CPC example. Was just trying to make a comparison between how much more serious the decision on including sockets in a bathroom is compared to increasing the size of the CPC. Anyway, now that I have your ear, how are you enjoying the sockets in your bathroom? ?

Yes UK electrical regulations can be very old fashioned at times, but have also been regarded as being among the safest in the world.
Should we lower our standards on some things to match what other countries do, or should they raise their standards to match what we do?

Of course we aren't perfect and there are areas where the UK needs to raise its standards to match the rest of the world, such as with TNCS supplies and earth electrodes.
Second attempt at this one

"UK electrical regs can be very old fashioned.."

You are correct. Buts its best if you point them out rather than me. So let's hear from you.
-----------
"But have also been regarded as some of the best in the world.."

Correct again. I regularly highlight them on other forums.
------------
"Should we lower our standards.."

Never
------------
"UK needs to raise it standards re TNCS /earth electrodes like rest of world"

Name one country that has gotten it right with TNC-S?
-----------
By the way, answers on this one open to all poster?
[automerge]1600861163[/automerge]
I enjoy them very much especially the wine fridge, by the way it's a utility room with a shower in one corner.
Wine fridge? So while in the UK you are concerned about TV, s been balanced on edge of Bath, in France you are concerned about people remaining balanced on side of bath?

Reply to Sockets in bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back