Discuss Solar as an investment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Moggy, as I have learnt too, if you already have an install of say 4KW on a high tariff, it stays on that and then the additional is on the current tariff that is applicable, ie add another 4KWP it would then be on the 4-10KWP tariff at the time of install, as you now have 8KW.

Of course you can not install 4KWP one day register that and then install another 4KWP the next day as that would be fraud, there needs to be a reasonable time between installations (whatever that is???) ie isn't this PV great, lets have some more, if you see what I mean.

All DNO rules need tp be applied for though, G59 ETC..
I hope this helps.

POOOFF!

that was the sound of a moggies head exploding!!
interesting info, I might bear that in mind then for larger installations!
question is, what is a reasonable amount of time?

I would think that if I add a second array, with a second inverter and second generation meter, that my new array would be 16.8p (pre-31st July) and my old array would remain 45.4p.

If I add more panels to my existing array (although 3.75kWp into a 3.6 inverter is about maxiumum capacity on bright days), I would expect a pro-rata adjustment of my generation meter reading by my FiT provider, so that the FiT would be split into a 45.4p-eligible and a 16.8p-eligible component. So if I add another 3.75kWp of panels to my 3.75kWp, but retain one inverter and one generation meter, I'd expect half of the generation meter reading would be assumed to be 45.4p and the other half 16.8p.

I would say that is correct, but make sure ( I am a sure you will)you get this confirmed by your FIT provider before it is installed.

The only problem that I can see with installing more panels onto your inverter, is it may run at maximum for long periods, therefore reducing its service life, so affecting your financial returns, also, if the panels are generating too much for long periods the inverter may shut down anyway.
Just a thought.

Hi Earthstore.

Yes, I don't think that adding more panels to my already maxed-out inverter would be very effective.

I was planning on a new inverter (or two, or three) for the additional array(s) and a new generation meter for the 16.8p FiT-eligible installation.

I must admit, though, that I'm going off the idea of adding more due to lack of time to do it properly without rushing, and the risk that I'd miss an obscure but important little footnote in the bureacracy which screwed-up my best-laid investment plans (such as finding something comparable to losing my 45.4p FiT), or miss a crucial planning restriction which later requires removal of the array.
I also feel that I'm rather "on my own" on this project - in unchartered waters with not many installers really interested as they generally seem much more interested with the straightforward stuff of domestic <4kWp bolted to a roof - especially given the apparent pickup in business recently.

So I might just fritter the cash on picking-up some bombed-out investments in the wake of the latest (or next....or next....) Euro crisis. At least I fully understand the "rules of the game" when it comes to financial markets, so I won't feel "on my own in uncharted waters".

It's just a shame that my enthusiasm for renewables can't be encouraged; my soft spot for it would persuade me to forego higher returns as a financial predator on the markets. For what it's worth, I also grow a lot of chemical-free fruits and veg, and have done considerable trials/experiments/comparisons on growing good quality food without needing to spray a dozen times a year with chemicals.

Going back to the other forum thread, there was mention of commercial properties. Covering his commercial property would allow him to charge a higher rent due to the free electricity provided to the tenants and also claim the FiT from it, and he wouldn't have to put up with a terrifying blemish in his conservation area...

Going back to the other forum thread, there was mention of commercial properties. Covering his commercial property would allow him to charge a higher rent due to the free electricity provided to the tenants and also claim the FiT from it, and he wouldn't have to put up with a terrifying blemish in his conservation area...

If there was time to grab myself a buy-to-let, I might consider it.
But housing transactions (other than auctions) seem to take at least three months and sometimes six months (I've done three housing transactions in the last ten years and none was quick nor painless).

If there was time to grab myself a buy-to-let, I might consider it.
But housing transactions (other than auctions) seem to take at least three months and sometimes six months (I've done three housing transactions in the last ten years and none was quick nor painless).

Was thinking of the other OP on the thread you linked to, had the impression he meant a business premises.

Another option nobody seems to think of these days is spend it and enjoy yourself...

Another option nobody seems to think of these days is spend it and enjoy yourself...

I do try to enjoy myself and I don't wish for much more than I already have.
I must confess, though, that the ongoing Euro crisis and the uncertainty over how badly it might end is causing me to hold back a bit, or think twice about splashing out cash.

These recessionary times are likely to be with us for several more years; we're going through a super-bust with many similarities to the Great Depression. People might appreciate a bit of money behind them by the time the recession has finally passed because I fear that families will have to pull together to support the unfortunate members.
No government - nor the whole world's governments - is powerful enough to stop this once-in-a-generation super-bust; at best they can moderate the severity of the economic collapse, but at a price of prolonging the duration (i.e. we can have long and shallow on-off recession, or we can have short and very deep depression).

I do try to enjoy myself and I don't wish for much more than I already have.
I must confess, though, that the ongoing Euro crisis and the uncertainty over how badly it might end is causing me to hold back a bit, or think twice about splashing out cash.

These recessionary times are likely to be with us for several more years; we're going through a super-bust with many similarities to the Great Depression. People might appreciate a bit of money behind them by the time the recession has finally passed because I fear that families will have to pull together to support the unfortunate members.
No government - nor the whole world's governments - is powerful enough to stop this once-in-a-generation super-bust; at best they can moderate the severity of the economic collapse, but at a price of prolonging the duration (i.e. we can have long and shallow on-off recession, or we can have short and very deep depression).

Absolutely agree there, as we discussed on the 'which' thread the current easing and likelyhood of on-going easing to prolong the status quo makes PV one of the best investments around. Struggle to bring myself to spend anything also, particularly with the unpredictability of our industry at present but it sounds like the OP in the other thread needs to relax a bit :)

Reply to Solar as an investment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net