Discuss Split concentric submains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Where did direct burial come from? Your post 29 (suppliers cable description!!)

As far as a remember we are talking of internal wiring with sufficient depth to negate RCD protection.

Regarding making off in a restricted space, it’s no worse than SWA. Give me a SWA cable over a Concentric cable in a tight space every time!!

Going back to DNO concentric, I'd pit it against a SWA when attacked with a pick and shovel.
Now you're taking the ****!! lol!!!

So what's different about DNO concentric cable, to those that are available to all?? As far as i can see there is only two BS standards covering concentric cables. Pretty sure they don't produce a concentric cable purely for the DNO's, that would cost the DNO's an arm and a leg for special cable....

From the same web site.

Application:
Split concentric cables are largely used by Distribution Network Operators (DNO) for providing final service connection to customer properties. Other applications include sub main connections within high rise buildings and street light systems. The cables are designed for direct burial and the polymeric covering of the Neutral conductor ensures greater corrosion resistance.

On a submain it is perfectly acceptable practice to use this cable.

For a buried non DNO submain it must be protected by some mechanical means. IE ducting.

DNO's don't work to BS7671. Split concentric conforms to their requirements as well as BASEC.

I'm fed up with this argument, it's going round in circles. I'll bow out now, I can't/won't argue futher.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the same web site.

Application:
Split concentric cables are largely used by Distribution Network Operators (DNO) for providing final service connection to customer properties. Other applications include sub main connections within high rise buildings and street light systems. The cables are designed for direct burial and the polymeric covering of the Neutral conductor ensures greater corrosion resistance.

On a submain it is perfectly acceptable practice to use this cable.

I didn't say it wasn't, but i wouldn't use any unarmoured cable in a direct burial situation, this cable is far better installed in a Duct...

Pretty sure they don't produce a concentric cable purely for the DNO's, that would cost the DNO's an arm and a leg for special cable....

Last DNO concentric for TN-C-S that I saw had a solid Aluminium live core, and a copper spiral Neutral. I can't see this as being commonplace, surely?

Oh, and it was ducted.

Reply to Split concentric submains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net