Discuss Supply for Combi Boiler - RCD required ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think you are all missing the point. As he is altering/ making an addition to a circuit then that circuit must comply with 17th edition regulations. As the latest amendment calls for all circuits in a domestic property to be protected by rcd then and rcd IS required.

Even if he was wiring to the 2nd amendment, if part of the circuit was buried in the wall, at a depth less than 50mm (which is highly likely) then again an rcd should be fitted as he is making alterations to an existing circuit.

I think you are all missing the point. As he is altering/ making an addition to a circuit then that circuit must comply with 17th edition regulations. As the latest amendment calls for all circuits in a domestic property to be protected by rcd then and rcd IS required.

If the installation method,location of the wiring/switched fused spur taken of the existing circuit doesn't require 30ma RCD protection then it doesn't require it.

Last edited:
Well of course if to the 2nd amendment. Like my post it would need to comply with the latest regs. The latest amendment which came into effect on 1 July all circuits in a domestic installation must be protected by rcd.

The Regulations only require certain circuits of special locations to be provided with RCD protection.
Circuits such as those of a location containing a bath or shower, circuits supplying socket-outlets in Agricultural/Horticultural installation, etc.

Think he would be correct in a domestic property if; was installed in metal earthed conduit or swa, not buried in walls less than 50mm, not in a special location or a socket outlet (unless dedicated socket, i.e. for medical equipement, as long as first bit was complied with and not risk assessed). Can't think of anymore exceptions? So RCD all the way, but agree with you Leysparkykent, but atm84 you kinda of right but for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
The job was completed in June, and on my advice the owner has now requested me to install a 17th edition CU before tenants move in at the end of the month, glad I didn't waste money on an RCD FCU now.
[The new board will NOT be made of steel by the way :laugh3:]

Only because you don't have to until Jan 1st, it'll be easier and quicker [tight for space] and done properly I'm confident it won't catch fire. :wink_smile:

Only because you don't have to until Jan 1st, it'll be easier and quicker [tight for space] and done properly I'm confident it won't catch fire. :wink_smile:

I've been fitting them for a while now. Although it's not compulsory until January it's in the regs now.
You may be confident of your work, but what if a component broke down and caused a fire, you may find yourself explaining why you chose to ignore the advice of the IET boffins on this and trying to prove that you know better.

I understand what you're saying Andy, but if we're going in to legal scenarios you said it yourself - it's not compulsory yet.
Honestly I must have installed 300+ dual RCD boards and haven't had any issues yet, and although made of insulating material I don't fit crap.

Cool. It's not correct though.

Sorry my mistake. I've just read the Wiring Matters from the IET regarding amendment three and the supervised or skilled person has been removed meaning that all installations require rcd where necessary. You used to be able to omit in some scenarios if the installation was under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person.

The skilled or instructed persons exemption applied to socket-outlets being used by ordinary persons whilst supervised, and for cables concealed in walls.
The requirement now is to provide RCD protection for all socket-outlets intended for general use, and for cables concealed in walls run in prescribed zones and not provided with another acceptable method of additional protection.

Reply to Supply for Combi Boiler - RCD required ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net