Discuss SWA Jointing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

londonlec

Hi All,

I have an SWA resin joint to do, although the two cables are different sizes (35 and 50mm), the cables are existing and buried under tarmac.

Is there a torpedo kit which will let me terminate two different size cores?

I know the DNO near me tighten a bolt down onto the core using a socket, something like that would be ideal.

Many thanks.

I used to wrap copper core round the smaller core to make up size, but this was for indoors and inside a panel box. Better than a bolt.

Done that many times with UG through joints. We had miles of 19/.044 (22mm) 11KV cabe, the smallest cable we kept on stock was 95mm.

don,t get a cheap thro. joint go for prysmain (pirelli) or 3M and get mechanical connectors (shear bolts)

Is that because you don't have a Crimping tool suitable for 35/50mm crimped connections?? Personally i'd always go for crimped connections over bolted connections every time given the choice!!

Never used these mechanical joints, are they any good? Only ever used weak-backs or crimps.

As for gel filled joints, I wouldn’t entertain them for an UG joint any ground settlement will destroy the joint.

used mechanical joints and never had any problems ,thro. crimps ok if you can get the crimper head in ok ,weak back ferules got to be best if youve still got your solder pot and a couple ladles (and nowdays fire extinguishers hot work permits method statements )

No way you could get away with doing any hot joints on a site these days!, crimped or mechanical only, it's grief enough sneaking a grinder on site! ( I cut all me containment with one!) crimped joints are spot on but if I had to joint two different sizes it would always be mechanical with snap off bolts. They are also standard issue to the DNO so I trust em!

Didn’t say I don’t trust mechanical connections, I’ve just never used them, I’ve seen DNO jointers using them.
OK I’m a dinosaur.
With compound joints crimps are a No No. Compound is constantly on the move and will creep in to a crimped connection, degrading it.
I did my jointing training with EMEB, they were adamant crimps shouldn’t be used. The last 11KV termination I did the manager insisted I used crimped lugs. OK I did, while his back was turned I ran solder in to them. Now with resin joints that problem is a thing of the past, once set it doesn’t move.

Out of interest, anyone tried to break a resin joint? I put one on the anvil and gave it a tap with a sledge hammer. The hammer bounced off. Pity they didn’t comply with M&Q.

Didn’t say I don’t trust mechanical connections, I’ve just never used them, I’ve seen DNO jointers using them.
OK I’m a dinosaur.
With compound joints crimps are a No No. Compound is constantly on the move and will creep in to a crimped connection, degrading it.
I did my jointing training with EMEB, they were adamant crimps shouldn’t be used. The last 11KV termination I did the manager insisted I used crimped lugs. OK I did, while his back was turned I ran solder in to them. Now with resin joints that problem is a thing of the past, once set it doesn’t move.

Out of interest, anyone tried to break a resin joint? I put one on the anvil and gave it a tap with a sledge hammer. The hammer bounced off. Pity they didn’t comply with M&Q.
trust you to go against the grain...

No way you could get away with doing any hot joints on a site these days!, crimped or mechanical only, it's grief enough sneaking a grinder on site! ( I cut all me containment with one!) crimped joints are spot on but if I had to joint two different sizes it would always be mechanical with snap off bolts. They are also standard issue to the DNO so I trust em!
and you did rite Aiden...

Reply to SWA Jointing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net