Discuss Swimming Pool Starter Help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why not a self resetting RCBO?
Are you suggesting that you fit a device that will trip in the event of a fault, only to reset it's self before the fault has been identified and rectified, seems to defeat the point of a Safety device don't you think?

Self resetting RCBOs monitor the circuit and will only reset if the fault has cleared quickly, they are intended to avoid the nuisance of short duration intermittent faults. If the fault is significant then the RCBO will not reset.

Self resetting RCBOs monitor the circuit and will only reset if the fault has cleared quickly, they are intended to avoid the nuisance of short duration intermittent faults. If the fault is significant then the RCBO will not reset.
Thanks for that Rich

Technically a swimming pool pump control system comes under the Machinery Directive and if it is to auto restart then there would have to be a hell of a lot of built in safety if there is any potential of injury from it. Also BS 7671 would not apply due to clause 110.2,xi.

Hi all, just a quick update.
When investigating closer I found the contacts on the starter contactor had welded together so the pump was never turning off by the timeclock.
I thought using 240v from the timeclock just wouldn't switch the contactor, however being as the customer said it used to work I'm thinking now that 240v was operating the contactor and caused it eventually to weld closed due to arcing.
I fitted new starter with 240v coil and all now seems to be working correctly.
Thank you again for all advice given..

I'm thinking now that 240v was operating the contactor and caused it eventually to weld closed due to arcing.

This sounds quite likely. If the coil was running at the wrong voltage, it might have been very sluggish to pull in and/or not compressed the contact springs fully, causing excessive arcing.

Reply to Swimming Pool Starter Help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net