Discuss Testing question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

m top

hi all I am currently working as a mate the contractor I'm working for which I shall not name does the following test.
he only measures zs doesn't do continuity r1 r2 he says that there is a good earth return if these results are within those permitted, he takes his ze from his zs to obtain his r1 r2 value,,now I am not saying I am right but shouldn't you prove a earth path exist before you power up to comply with ados ? The only reason I can see he does this is to save time but I'm guessing he is cutting corners views please or is this permitted.

you're correct. he's either lazy or incompetent (or both).

I have heard of this being used by the "£60 EICR" gang --- dont do the full checks but get your (R1 + R2) from (Zs - Ze). Saves time and gets the whole job done in 4 hours!!

Like all things in life unfortunately sometimes we can't carry out 100% of tests to the regs for various reasons if time and money no object. However these things need to be arranged as part of the limitations and agreements set out with the client when the job is arranged.
It's easy to slag people of but there is a difference between knowing what to do and having set parameters with a client

Personally I always advise testing to the guide lines but can't always get some one to agree the full cost of that so calculate R1, R2 for example.
EICR only though more thorough tests must be done on initials

It is perfectly acceptable to use a Zs test as a means of verifying cpc continuity on a periodic inspection, however you cannot deduce an R1+R2 value from this so I would expect to see that as a limitation (unless an R2 wander lead test had been done instead).

christ we hear some drivvel around here dont we...
to this half arsed chancer of a boss who thinks its appropriate to just energise without confirming its safe to do so then further more allows those who he is supposed to be influencing to witness such activities:

either do it rite or jack it in!!

and to them that were bleatin on about (R1 R2)...and not being able to carry out this test under certain conditions:

ever heard of a wander lead & method 2?

sinking feeling....

Reply to Testing question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net