Discuss The DPC of the draft 18th edition of BS 7671 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nice idea but..... do they actually take note? or are they just out to generate as much revenue as possible ?

I don't know, but if everyone takes that kind of approach then nothing will ever change.
It's the same as the ridiculous number of people who don't vote in elections because they think that their one little vote doesn't matter.

421.1.7 Arc fault detection devices conforming to BS EN 62606 may be used to provide additional protection against fire caused by arc faults in AC final circuits.

I'm tired, can anyone see anything further to this regarding AFDD's?

542.1.201 is interesting.

Time to buy shares in copper! Looks like copper rods to every installation regardless of earthing arrangements unless I'm reading this wrong. Should be fun in a terraced house with no garden!

it's hardly working for me. Takes an age to scroll through it for some reason. Keeps stalling. Any way to download and browse ?

542.1.201 is interesting.

Time to buy shares in copper! Looks like copper rods to every installation regardless of earthing arrangements unless I'm reading this wrong. Should be fun in a terraced house with no garden!
Thought that might just be for tncs to protect against an open pen conductor

I appreciate other threads have been opened on this subject since I opened my own, however I'll post here to try and make me look great :)

Having briefly read through the draft, some of the new regs which I noted (amongst others), were;

411.3.3 RCD for all sockets, risk assessment deleted.

411.3.4 RCD for domestic final circuits for luminaires.

421.7 AFDD's. They seem to be suggesting these device to be used on final circuits, combined with the over current device? And the words 'may be used'.

521.10.202. Precluding the use of non-metallic clips, for cables fixed to exposed surfaces. Which suggests to me, this doesn't include cables in domestic properties above plasterboard ceilings.

542.1.201. Earth rod for everyone! Has attracted lots of comments, requesting clarification

I appreciate other threads have been opened on this subject since I opened my own, however I'll post here to try and make me look great :)

Having briefly read through the draft, some of the new regs which I noted (amongst others), were;

411.3.4 RCD for domestic final circuits for luminaires.

421.7 AFDD's. They seem to be suggesting these device to be used on final circuits, combined with the over current device? And the words 'may be used'.

521.10.202. Precluding the use of non-metallic clips, for cables fixed to exposed surfaces. Which suggests to me, this doesn't include cables in domestic properties above plasterboard ceilings.

542.1.201. Earth rod for everyone! Has attracted lots of comments, requesting clarification
I believe they've also deleted the one item of labelled equipment i.e. socket outlets labelled as say fridge when wiring doesn't require rcd protection for domestic, commercial and industrial installations

For us lesser mortals who require pretty pictures, and someone else to explain things to us, Darren & Tony are having a chit chat on the subject, in the next dose of 'The Wire';

'The Wire will be broadcast live on Thursday 6 July at 9am - 10am, and can be accessed on several platforms including your PC, tablet or smartphone!

Hosted by industry experts Darren Staniforth and Alan Wells, this edition of The Wire will cover:

• The proposed changes to BS 7671
• How to contribute to the development of the 18th Edition
• Q&A with an opportunity to submit questions

There will also be an opportunity to send in comments afterwards, for NICEIC and ELECSA to consider and incorporate into a submission to BSI'.

Ooops, Tony Cable has finally, finally retired. Bloke called Alan Wells takes his place. Hope his jokes are better, no offence Mr Cable.

So where we can currently get away with not installing RCD's on RFC's in offices powering computers etc because of nuisance tripping... in the next version of BS7671 this won't be the case?

Reply to The DPC of the draft 18th edition of BS 7671 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net