Discuss The Industry and what the future holds in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to get some input from experienced Electricians as to where they think the future of the Industry lies, in terms of scale of work and profitability.

I am just starting out, I do not have any qualifications (industry related) apart from my CSCS, I have my own hand tools, I can drive and have my own car and I would be willing to pay for my training myself. I am trying to find companies that can provide relevant work experience for future growing industry trends, which can hopefully ensure I have a decent future in the game.

I have had two contractors let me down (one with no explanation whatsoever!?:confused5:) with offers of full-time work in the space of two weeks, but it's not going to deter me, so now I am thinking researching a little more carefully and then targeting larger companies who can offer me relevant experience in growing markets within the industry.

I'm thinking renewables may be the way forward with the government having to reach targets on energy consumption as directed by the EU, please correct me if I am wrong!

I have been told that sparks in telecommunications and theatre/TV can earn great money - anyone verify this?

What are you thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Don't know about telecommunications or theatre, but with films and TV, yes sparks can earn a lot more than they would conducting installation work.
That said, nepotism is rife in that section of the industry, so it is very hard to break into.
The vast majority of my work is industrial/commercial, at present mostly commercial (office refurbs) through agencies.
At present the agencies are crying out for sparks and some are trying to palm off inexperienced and unqualified workers as being experienced or qualified.
Another boom area is house/flat bashing, as there appears to be a great deal of residential new builds going on (in London at least), with even some offices being converted to residential.
Unfortunately I can't give you any information regarding Apprenticeship opportunities, or training.
My advice however would be to contact agencies, to see if you can be registered with them.

I agree. I know someone who works in tv production, she is a production manager, her dad the electrician and her brother the set designer.
Keep it in the family

Usually people only pay great money for good reasons;

Experience
Ability to work unsupervised
Ability to self problem solve

(All of the above would NOT apply to a new starter)

Crap working conditions
Long hours
Working away from home
Permanently on call.

Reply to The Industry and what the future holds in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net