Discuss The use of plastic wall plugs for the 18th.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So plastic plugs no, but plastic trunking, conduit, fast fit boxes, etc etc etc are all ok, someone is having a good old ****ing laugh at us all, and all we do is bend over further and let the scam providers shaft us,maybe we should go back to the 4 inch nail bent over cables like in the good old days

Plastic trunking will only melt in a fire. Same as other plastic products. Cables within the plastic trunking, if fitted to the ceiling for example, will fall out of the trunking. The copper in the wire will not melt at the temps they are talking about, where firefighters will be in the building, so these copper wires may cause "entanglement". Therefore you have to secure the wires and prevent them from dropping.

So as lo g as the fixing stays up everything else can dangle and sag, fooking crap and I can't believe some of you are buying into this "We are the borg prepare to be assimilated" for trays, baskets, metal trunk use metal expanding anchors simple

So as lo g as the fixing stays up everything else can dangle and sag, fooking crap and I can't believe some of you are buying into this "We are the borg prepare to be assimilated" for trays, baskets, metal trunk use metal expanding anchors simple

Over reacting slightly ?

I'm mainly domestic and small commercial works now. I don't see how this affects me at all?

If I do a shed, garage etc, the cables fall down the wall, no chance they will be in anyones way. Showers and smokies going from ground floor to attic it's a bit of MT2 stuck to the wall, without it the cable isn't in a danger to anyone it'll just hang there.

Do any of you old geezers out there remember ALEX plugs in the 70's. They were an aluminium rawlplug an always gave you a solid fixing - much better than the plastic ones. Perhaps they are the solution to this problem.

I'm mainly domestic and small commercial works now. I don't see how this affects me at all?

If I do a shed, garage etc, the cables fall down the wall, no chance they will be in anyones way. Showers and smokies going from ground floor to attic it's a bit of MT2 stuck to the wall, without it the cable isn't in a danger to anyone it'll just hang there.
The new regulation doesn’t make any exceptions be it a single cable incased in trunking on a wall or for bundles of cables fixed high level to a ceiling,it simply states ALL wiring in the installation shall be secured against premature collapse so it will affect all installations.

The new regulation doesn’t make any exceptions be it a single cable incased in trunking on a wall or for bundles of cables fixed high level to a ceiling,it simply states ALL wiring in the installation shall be secured against premature collapse so it will affect all installations in all locations of installation.
That's not what I meant. I should have made it clearer.
If I use surface trunking in a house it's either along a skirting, in the hot press, or from floor to ceiling to go between floors. The commercial stuff in my area isn't much different, and anything bigger I doubt I'd be using PVC conduit or trunking.

As usual we will comply as we know and abide by the regulations. However other trades won’t so Dave the data bloke or Steve the Sky engineer won’t give a ---- and still just chuck it them in...

I can see these making a comeback, they should be rated to 327.5 °C

1.jpg

As usual we will comply as we know and abide by the regulations. However other trades won’t so Dave the data bloke or Steve the Sky engineer won’t give a **** and still just chuck it them in...
...and then there are the diy Dick's and cowboy **** pretenders in our own trade.

Just out of curiosity, donother trades such as ceiling fittiers, air con installers have to comply too as they both install things that are liable to fall down should the fixing fail in a fire?

Surely the point is that falling wiring does not merely impede one's progress in the same way as other falling stuff (such as suspended ceilings) but also has the interesting additional potential ('scuse pun) to administer a seriously painful and possibly life threatening jolt at the same time?

Do any of you old geezers out there remember ALEX plugs in the 70's. They were an aluminium rawlplug an always gave you a solid fixing - much better than the plastic ones. Perhaps they are the solution to this problem.

Yes I remember those, make that 60's and 70's.
When I started it was with the then GPO, (Electrical) they wouldn't allow anything else, certainly not those new fangled plastic things.

I can also remember using the Rawlplug fibre compound that you used to dampen and push into larger / oversized holes then screw into it. Used that at home before I started work and had access to Alex plugs.
I'm sure that must have had asbestos in it.
Just Googled , yes it was white asbestos, lovely I used to chew that to get it wet.

Last edited:

Reply to The use of plastic wall plugs for the 18th.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net