Discuss think it's time to call it a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

it's OK Pete. i'll bounce back . amazing how a few pints of theakston's OP changes one's outlook.;)

Traditional-Mild-Pint.png
Just don 't overdo things Mate, not really worth mkng yourself ill now, is it? With your experience, you could always go into teaching at a Electrical Trainee establishment.:D

Last edited:
Rather than put your tools and test equipment away what about employing a young apprentice to do the the more athletic and difficult to access parts of a job? What knowledge and experience you have to impart and it is very rewarding watching a youngster grow in skill and confidence. A bit of company too and he/she would keep you young in heart and mind.

Rather than put your tools and test equipment away what about employing a young apprentice to do the the more athletic and difficult to access parts of a job? What knowledge and experience you have to impart and it is very rewarding watching a youngster grow in skill and confidence. A bit of company too and he/she would keep you young in heart and mind.
already done. my son helps out with any jobs that are either too strenuous or 2 man jobs. he's only available at weekends though. mon.-fri he's wiring up artics and trailers.

this heat is making me feel 70+.................................
i'm already 70+ with or without the heat. today is a day off, relax with a beer or 3, maybe a session in the hot tub, a bit of .22 target practice, might even be roast pigeon for supper.

i'm already 70+ with or without the heat. today is a day off, relax with a beer or 3, maybe a session in the hot tub, a bit of .22 target practice, might even be roast pigeon for supper.
Age is only a number Tel, or so you told me some time ago, but I have to say, with this weather I'm feeling my age:tongue:

I can't remember you saying you're packing it in before Tel. I reckon you've had a tough day and after a few days rest you'll be back at it :).
If you haven't retired already and you're 70+ I think you must have made a choice to carry on because you enjoy doing something. Can't imagine you sat at home twiddling you're thumbs!

working is a necessity. state pension just about covers essentials... beer and smokes. for luxuries like food, i need to earn.

after sweating all weekend adding 7 sounders to a fire alarm, most awkward cable routing ever, 5 separate loft areas in 18th C pub. think it's time i gave in to old age.

Well fair play Terence, you worked until 71, you have paid your way in life and deserve a rest, I applaud you, you can now spend all your time off touring the country, come down here and have a cider, or stay on line trashing the labour party and stayers, either way have fun mate, you deserve it.

Keep on working

You can cut yourself down to a three day week and then maybe wind down from there in a year or so.

I know of a neighbour who went into a state of depression after retirement

He couldn't hack the idea of being an important cog in an organisation to sitting on the scrap heap as he seen it.

This is such a common thing around here that that have started setting up "Men's Sheds"

Reply to think it's time to call it a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net