Discuss Too Expensive? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't have nearly two hours of breaks in a day.....That would be a luxury! Onsite 7.40, break 15 mins at 10.30, lunch 13.30-1400. pack up 16.30. This is what my lads get.
And that is generous!
My day normal is - 7:30 onsite, 1 ten minute break, collect up and leave site 4:30. That is what we consider a normal day and we consider that a luxury. :)

A window cleaner could earn 200 a day, not worth it as an Electrician Dave, you need to be 300 a day to make it pay. jmo
Not round this neck of the woods! Most self-employed electricians I know charge around £150 per day + £60 per day for a mate.

That's shocking mate. It's a race to the bottom

£150 a day is about right for subbing, but not a sensible rate when you're quoting, ordering and fetching materials, etc. £200 a day as an absolute minimum for direct with customers.

Ditto above. Most trades around where I live, would look to earn £200-250 a day. The window cleaner from around the corner, got a Porche Boxer and his wife drives Porsche Cayenne. Still he does use the Pure Deionised Water system :mad:

Ditto above. Most trades around where I live, would look to earn £200-250 a day. The window cleaner from around the corner, got a Porche Boxer and his wife drives Porsche Cayenne. Still he does use the Pure Deionised Water system :mad:
Well, I know a bloke round here who is on the bins, and his missus works in Aldi on the till. He has got a Maserati and shes got a Range Rover Vogue, so there.
dave, post: 1216040, member: 75140"]You make a good meter fixer Burnout, it is on[/QUOTE]

Well, I know a bloke round here who is on the bins, and his missus works in Aldi on the till. He has got a Maserati and shes got a Range Rover Vogue, so there.
dave, post: 1216040, member: 75140"]You make a good meter fixer Burnout, it is on
[/QUOTE]
Makes me wonder where I went wrong, I always wanted a Lamborghini Veneno, but I guess a Ford Focus is more practicable. :(

Makes me wonder where I went wrong, I always wanted a Lamborghini Veneno, but I guess a Ford Focus is more practicable. :([/QUOTE]
Probably reflects the type of guy you are better I would guess. Honestly though, I think these rates for a window cleaner are a bit far fetched. I have always done most things for myself, but I do delegate the task to Mrs Burnout. Personally I wouldn't pay more than £10 to have my windows given a "quick once-over". Having said that I have never had anyone call round and ask if I am interested, maybe it's a better option. No certs, no stress, bit cold in January though.

OK. priced at £600 all in with MWC for outside sockets. replied to customer's text and offered price dicsount to £550 to match competitor's quote. ( i know he would use LAP ). customer text back accepting £550. so all's well.
Can't stand doing business by text and whatsapp and messenger and stuff!

I made that 32 seperate switches/sockets to change.
If we say 15 mins per item that's 7.5hrs and that's assuming the metal box lug holes don't need re-threading, the switches don't need a Stanley knife around the edges to stop the paint work coming off, all the conductor's are long enough to make it a swift change, all conductor's already have correct sleeving and no metal back boxes need a grommet put it (because it's missing)!

Then.. 2 IP sockets, let's say 1 hour each. That's assuming its a not a bumpy Cotswold stone wall on the outside and you have to gently chisel a little away to make it flat.. can't think of any others on that one apart from the sleeving, grommets and re-threading again!

Plus it depends on no owners dogs coming up and trying to lick you, no children coming up and watching you, no clients talking to you and the clients not telling you to wait 10 mins whilst they shut down there computer before you turn the sockets off!

ABSOLUTE minimum of 9.5 hours for me and I reckon it would turn into a 12 :)

So have you done it yet Tel?

I think he doesn't care about the profit anymore, looking forward to a pint on the way home. A few pounds in the pocket. A day out with the 'sparkies mate'. Life's too short.
C'est la vie.

I made that 32 seperate switches/sockets to change.
If we say 15 mins per item that's 7.5hrs ... ABSOLUTE minimum of 9.5 hours for me and I reckon it would turn into a 12 :)

Exactly my thought process HHD. 15 mins each is a good starting point for this sort of job. And, unless it's really trivial, I allow 15 mins for getting tools out of the van and discussing the job with the customer, plus 15 mins at the end for tidying up and putting tools away.

Reply to Too Expensive? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net