Discuss Towel rail & timer unit amperage in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a NOBO electric central heating system. I have 300W towel rails in my bathroom. I didn't get a manual when I bought the flat, so have a few questions if OK:

- Do I need to service electric towel radiators? Do I need to bleed them - as I have heard they are water filled???

- If I need to replace the element, do standard elements fit?

(Pictures of my radiator are here:)
https://sites.google.com/site/imagesforwebanc/home/DSC00651_c.JPG
https://sites.google.com/site/imagesforwebanc/_/rsrc/1330335117197/home/DSC00652_c.JPG

- I am planning to replace the controller to the towel rails with a DIN mounted timer unit, as the signalling from the central timer has failed. The towel rail is rated at 300W.

I was thinking of using a 16 amps timer unit, but read somewhere that this may be too much, and a 10 amp is optimal. Can anyone advise here?

Thanks,
Alex

Hi,

I have a NOBO electric central heating system. I have 300W towel rails in my bathroom. I didn't get a manual when I bought the flat, so have a few questions if OK:

- Do I need to service electric towel radiators? Do I need to bleed them - as I have heard they are water filled??? if you bled it, how do you refill any lost liquid. These are mostly sealed units and do not require bleeding, but every unit is different, does it have a bleed valve?

- If I need to replace the element, do standard elements fit? All the towel rails I have worked on have built in obsolescence, if broke throw away

(Pictures of my radiator are here:)
https://sites.google.com/site/imagesforwebanc/home/DSC00651_c.JPG
https://sites.google.com/site/imagesforwebanc/_/rsrc/1330335117197/home/DSC00652_c.JPG

- I am planning to replace the controller to the towel rails with a DIN mounted timer unit, as the signalling from the central timer has failed. The towel rail is rated at 300W.

I was thinking of using a 16 amps timer unit, but read somewhere that this may be too much, and a 10 amp is optimal. Can anyone advise here?The timer unit is rated for a 16amp load and so your 300watt load which is 1.3amps should be no problem. Remember the timer unit can take 16amps, don't mean it has to. My car can do 130mph but I don't have to drive it that fast.

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:
the rating of your timer is the max. it will stand, so any timer rated at or above 3A will be fine. these towel rails are usually sealed so no need to bleed/top up etc. 300w is only 1.3 amps so toy fused connection unit should be fitted with a 3A fuse.

Thanks for your help.

The element is a "Tradeko" Type EL. 05Y.1. It is rated at 230V and IP44.

Other than the 230V, the rest doesn't mean much to me.

- To replace the element, would a standard element from say B&Q fit inside the radiator, and be OK?

- The fused spur I have between the timer unit and the radiator has a 13A fuse in it. If I have 300W radiators and a 16A timer unit, am I risking too much power to the heating elements (sorry, basic questions - I am learning)?

Should I use a 3A fuse instead of the 13A one?

Cheers :)

Last edited:
yes. you have to realise that the 16A rating is the max. current that the timer will supply. like in your consumer unit, you have a 100A main switch, but you won't be pulling 100A through it. and the 3A fuse is definitely reqiured. that is there to protect the thin flex. to your heater from overheating in case the element fails.

Thanks again. I reckon I will do a basic electrical course to learn this stuff.

To replace the element, would a standard element from say B&Q fit inside the radiator, and be OK? (it is a "Tradeko" Type EL. 05Y.1. It is rated at 230V and IP44).

if it fitted and was the same wattage, should do, but you would have to take the rail off the wall and upend it to remove the element, otherwise the oil would leak out.

Reply to Towel rail & timer unit amperage in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net