Discuss Two houses, one supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
I usually do a lot of industrial work, (schools, hospitals and factories etc) but have wired a few houses in my time!
Currently wiring a new house at the moment and the lady I was wiring it for asked me would I speak to the electric board when the call out to the house, they have quoted her around £20,000 to bring a new supply from the nearest transformer to her property, approx 240meters away.
after discussin with the electric company and client he has told us that we could bring a supply from her neighbours house (clients brother) to supply her house which is aprox 40meters away, and talked about putting on a separate meter to calculate units used and split the bill accordingly
all this would have to be done by myself as it would be nothing to do with the electric company as it is a private meter and they are only concerned with anything up as far as the current meter
havent seen in the neighbours yet but should be at least 80 or 100amp supply to his house, but has any1 ever seen or done anything like this, been just thinking about it and problems that could occur with this, any advice welcome, thanks

Lol, I know, I would be splitting the tails before the main switch of the first house, I think the guy from the electric board said it was a 95mm supplying the first house from the transformer, this may sound like a silly question tho but I have never seen this done or done anything like it before

Wouldn't there be adequate capacity on the DNO cable to joint off a new supply from near where it enters the existing house ?

You'd think so wouldn't you?
It stands to logical reason that if the DNO engineer has said that a second house can be fed off of that supply then there must be the capacity there to do it.

Our last house had our neighbours house 2 daisy chained" off our connection. We found this our when we had an extension and the UKPN chap turned up to move the meter and head!

but what if its a family house e.g. child having shower (electric) while mum and dad using kitchen toaster , oven etc?

Edit: also heaters during the winter maybe?

And what if it Christmas Day an they're cooking dinner and the TV is on and the immersion heater and the heated jet wash is being used while someone is straightening their hair and making tea in the middle of the night with 3kW of security lights on?
Hell, every house is going to need a 1000A TP supply soon!

You'd be surprised at the number of houses still running on 60, 40 or 30A service fuses!

And what if it Christmas Day an they're cooking dinner and the TV is on and the immersion heater and the heated jet wash is being used while someone is straightening their hair and making tea in the middle of the night with 3kW of security lights on?
Hell, every house is going to need a 1000A TP supply soon!

You'd be surprised at the number of houses still running on 60, 40 or 30A service fuses!

well its possible but not to the extent you described

The next street to me, the whole of it is arranged so that one supply comes into every second house with the adjoining house tapped off it. It's been that way many years more than either me or my dad has been alive and all is well. Same in the house I'm currently rewiring and I'm not concerned about that either.

Done an job the other week, onsite investigation, meter had been removed by WPD, knocked through to next door both house's supplied by 100amp fuse from next door.

Reply to Two houses, one supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net