Discuss Two isocontainers sitting on the ground next to each in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marconi

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Dear Colleagues, I have been discussing a situation with a young electrician I mentor. My electrical art is attached. Container A contains a Diesel generator whose output passes through a 300mA ELCB. Container B is a large refrigeration unit with integrated cooling machinery. The 5 cables between the containers are all the proper quality and toughness. It is a temporary arrangement while works are done on the onsite fridges/freezers. The containers are 2m apart and sitting on the same area of concrete though my drawing does not make that clear enough. Although I show the green bonding cable passing through the earth it does not - it is just the way I have drawn it.

The young electrician asked me if it was safe and compliant with whatever regulations apply to such an installation. I wondered what you thought and would say to him. I have already given my reply. Forgive me but I will not be saying anything further but will of course read what folk say.

Attachments

• isocontainers.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I guess the obvious thing that is missing is a definite means of earthing, though it is almost a closed/isolated system as both containers are bonded together and it is not, I presume, offering power to any outside socket?

Cables between them would have to be armoured as no 30mA "additional protection" in case of damage, and indeed with the lack of definite earthing you could also argue ADS is missing from the design.

No doubt others will spot something I am missing, but not had my morning coffee yet!

Actually there is a far bigger elephant in the room - the neutral is linked to earth at the load as well!

Not only breaking the RCD's operation but also forming a TN-C system against the regs (though with parallel paths far less risky then the copper-saving PEN conductor style).

See, never go looking for pachyderm before you have coffee!

Actually there is a far bigger elephant in the room - the neutral is linked to earth at the load as well!

Not only breaking the RCD's operation but also forming a TN-C system against the regs (though with parallel paths far less risky then the copper-saving PEN conductor style).

See, never go looking for pachyderm before you have coffee!
Thank you pc1966 - that is my drawing mistake. The N is not linked to the earth at the load in container B . See revised electrical art.

Attachments

• corrected isocontainers.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Reply to Two isocontainers sitting on the ground next to each in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net