Discuss Two-Way Switching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fury84

Firstly hope I have picked the right category......

A friend of mine bought new switches for his kitchen and having been unsuccessful at changing one of the light switches asked my advice but I too am stumped! He has a 3 gang switch which controls 3 different lighting circuits within the kitchen, one of which was wired for two-way switching.

Coming in are 3 x twin and earth for each individual lighting circuit, 1 twin and earth for the supply feed and a four core cable for the dual switching which goes to a single socket by the door.

To save huge explanation I have found a diagram on the net of how I wired the switch below before attempting to add the two way switching and everything worked fine. So, at this stage the only unused wire was the 4 core cable but I could just not figure this out.

Could anyone explain what I need to do? I understand the two way switching will only work on one of the lights but how?

Any advice appreciated.

Take the common from both switches to L1, put the feed and one strapper into L2, put the switch wire and the other strapper into L3, the 4th core? I assume you mean the earth?

Dude, your diagram is not going to help you here as it's for a 3 gang one way setup. I'd be surprised if anyone is going to give away trade secrets on here for free when this is our bread and butter living. Someone on the forum local to you will be able to help you for a suitable fee should you wish to get the problem sorted safely, I'm sure.

Good luck.

Thread closed until admin can move it to diy.

Think this has moved now so can anybody else offer assistance?

and if post #2 won't help, then post #3 is your only option.

Feed in, feed out and 1 Strapper to L1. Switch line and other strapper to L2 Com the same either end of the 2way
can we do a 2 way switching system to the channel tunnel? switch off our end but block the frogs from turning it back on?

can we do a 2 way switching system to the channel tunnel? switch off our end but block the frogs from turning it back on?
yes that easy just get one of the strapers mixed up with the switch wire , :stuart:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I do have a reasonable understanding of electrics whilst being aware of my limitations and also have the intelligence to know when to seek help. Whilst I know it would only be a five minute job for a qualified electrician, I do enjoy tackling jobs myself and appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Reply to Two-Way Switching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net