Discuss Underfkoor Heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

To me I would say that although the price you have been charged for the actual component is more than you could have bought it for, if the electrician supplied and installed it then if it doesn't work and he has to repeat the work. He has to stand the cost of his labour for the repeat install. If you buy and he fits and subsequently it doesn't work you have to pay for the electricians time again!!
So getting the electrician to buy and install is effectively an insurance against it not working and having to pay labour twice.
When you asked him to do the the job were you not happy with the price and what he was proposing?

so why didnt you get it yourself then? at what point did you realise that this could be sourced cheaper?

When they left the instructions behind of how to lay it. I phoned the company out of interest and bare in mind I was not getting it at trade price the difference in what I would have paid was 100's so how much they paid at trade price I do not know. The other thing to bare in mind is that the cost to me when I asked for the price sq meter for the area the thermostat I asked for (included in the price) was far superior to the one they installed which was the most basic thermostat. All very disappointing.

To me I would say that although the price you have been charged for the actual component is more than you could have bought it for, if the electrician supplied and installed it then if it doesn't work and he has to repeat the work. He has to stand the cost of his labour for the repeat install. If you buy and he fits and subsequently it doesn't work you have to pay for the electricians time again!!
So getting the electrician to buy and install is effectively an insurance against it not working and having to pay labour twice.
When you asked him to do the the job were you not happy with the price and what he was proposing?

His work was substandard. After he had left and I had paid him. Actually he asked for the money before he had finished the work and although I paid half I was not willing to pay the whole lot until he had completely finished but even then I had to get him back in again for various bits and pieces he does have part two and he does have "check a trade" plastered across his van but neither his nor his company name comes up when you check that out!

i wonder if slurrygirl grizzles and moans like this when she has her car serviced @£100 per hour at a main dealer ( grease monkey paid £10 / hr ) plus 200 - 500 % mark up on the parts ( have worked for main dealers in the past as an auto-electrician and know what their mark ups are ) of course she doesn't cos she'd never get her car back, if she knew anything about being in business she would know that all businesses have a mark up on parts, the u/f heating manufacturer isn't selling for what the materials cost them ffs - people like her annoy me as you can probably tell , she should ask her hairdresser what their mark up is !!

His work was substandard. After he had left and I had paid him. Actually he asked for the money before he had finished the work and although I paid half I was not willing to pay the whole lot until he had completely finished but even then I had to get him back in again for various bits and pieces he does have part two and he does have "check a trade" plastered across his van but neither his nor his company name comes up when you check that out!
If he is advertising being a member of organisations he is not are you sure the relevant paperwork and notifications have been carried out?
Once you have paperwork and confirmation of required notifications then I would speak to trading standards about his van and him not being a member of the organisations.

The more I read about this bloke the more dodgy he sounds.

Does sound a bit like he has been taking the mickey.

i wonder if slurrygirl grizzles and moans like this when she has her car serviced @£100 per hour at a main dealer ( grease monkey paid £10 / hr ) plus 200 - 500 % mark up on the parts ( have worked for main dealers in the past as an auto-electrician and know what their mark ups are ) of course she doesn't cos she'd never get her car back, if she knew anything about being in business she would know that all businesses have a mark up on parts, the u/f heating manufacturer isn't selling for what the materials cost them ffs - people like her annoy me as you can probably tell , she should ask her hairdresser what their mark up is !!

I dont take it to a main dealer. I have a very honest reasonably priced local chap and my car has ran for years without a

break down in the worst of weathers. No I buy the parts myself he does not make a thing on parts. I like honest people not rip off merchants!

The electrician is not a shop selling UFH is he!! My hairdresser is paid a good price for her time she is not a rip of merchant like the high street hair dressers but what has that got to do with UFH! how is your hair today. People like you annoy me .You sound ignorant in more ways than one.

Reply to Underfkoor Heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net